USB key over network for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fa.ce, May 8, 2013.

1. fa.ce macrumors 6502

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You can remote access your Mac with VNC software, if you also share the drives with other computers nothing else is needed.

Example, I have Apple Remote Desktop, I control my Mini with my Laptop, I also have externals connected to the Mini, you need to switch on file sharing and share the Folder/Drive.
    (There are free VNC Apps available, ARD is NOT free)

In the screenshot below you see a "Get Info Panel" on my External drive, see the shared box is checked.

Attached Files:

3. Bear macrumors G3

If you just want them to have access to the files on the USB keys, have you thought about sharing them out over the net like you would for a regular disk?

4. fa.ce, May 8, 2013
    Last edited: May 8, 2013

fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks both,
    i've clicked on shared, then ?
    May you please elaborate ? Thanks

[​IMG]

5. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

You also have to enable file sharing in the sharing preferences pane, there is also an option to share over AFP and SMB.

But, the most difficult way is to connect over the internet, a static IP is much better than a dynamic IP, if it is static your IP will always be the same so connecting to your Mac remotely is always the same.
    Firewalls can block access and your router might need to set up to send the packets only to the Mac you want to share from, not an easy task.

As I said before I use remote desktop to access and control my mini, you could do the same but you could also use "connect to server from the Finders Go Menu to access files only.
    Believe me, it is not an easy task, especially not if you have an dynamic IP address.

6. fa.ce thread starter macrumors 6502

For now i'd like to see it in network but i'm having some issue.
    I've enabled users me and all in read/write but cannot see the shared usb key from my local iMac in the same wired network.

And if i try to add other network users in shared preference panel is not possible (not edit me and all in the same panel), why ?

7. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

It may be because the drives are formatted as Fat32 which seems to have issues showing up using Bonjour, and you can't set user permissions on them.

On the other Mac I would try connecting to the drive manually, as in:
    Finder, Go > Connect to Server
    then enter "smb://IPAddress/NameOfMemoryStick" or "afp://IPAddress/NameOfMemoryStick" depending on whether you are using SMB or AFP.