USB Keyboard acting weird on iMac, not on new Macbook Air

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jasweidner, Sep 19, 2014.

1. jasweidner macrumors newbie

As of today, I've been having problems with the USB keyboard on my iMac. It repeatedly enters the number 8 into text fields without me typing 8. The command + tab function is sticky and advances across open apps without any control.

I tried connecting it to my new MacBook Air, and it seems to work fine. So I'm assuming the problem is with the iMac. Any suggestions for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
    Jason

2. ryguy92000 macrumors regular

ryguy92000

Sticky keys get a tough unstick solution!

This one SHOULD be straight forward. A few resets should fix you right up!

First save any work your doing like word documents etc.

1) Power system Reset will fix any messed up USB ports.
    Shut off the machine allowing it to fully power down. Wait 5 seconds. Unplug the machine. Wait another 5. HOLD the power button down no less than 10 seconds. Plug machine back in. DONE

2) Ram Reset makes the machine forget who it knows.
    Turn machine off if its on. Wait 5 seconds. hold the following keys down; OPTION, COMMAND, and the letters P & R. while holding these keys down (get flexible) turn on the iMac DO NOT LET GO. The machine will boot up, stop and boot again and you should hear a tone on the second boot up. The machine will continue to cycle this boot up process until you release the keys. Do not let go until you hear at least three start up chimes. It may take a while but be patient!

These two should fix your issues with USB malfunctions!:D