USB keyboard layout is wrong

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lost eden, Aug 22, 2007.

1. lost eden macrumors 6502a

I just plugged a Saitek Eclipse into my MacBook to find out that OS X treats it as a Mac-layout rather than the standard IBM layout that it is. For example;

@ and " are the wrong way around
    | is in completely the wrong place
    \ ±§`~ are all in the wrong places

When I plugged in the keyboard it asked me to press the key to the right of the left shift which I did, then it claimed to have identified the keyboard as ISO European (which it is) yet it applies the non-standard Mac layout. How do I go about fixing this?

Is it too much to ask that OS X can work with a standard keyboard without me having to hack around for hours?

2. ghostshadow macrumors regular

ghostshadow

I used this keyboard with my powermac for a while, All I did was go to the sysprefs>> Keyboard and mouse>> then changed the modifier keys to fit need . Didn't have any problems after that.

3. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's not the modifier keys that are wrong. OS X is treating the board as an Apple layout board rather than an IBM layout board, so all of the symbols are in the wrong places. It seems to me to be rather poorly written software, that even when I tell it that it is an ISO QWERTY keyboard it completely ignores that & treats it as an Apple keyboard.

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Agreed, it would be very nice to have an easy way of using standard PC layouts instead of being forced to use the Apple layout. It is very annoying when the physical keyboard layout doesn't match the computer's interpretation of it...

5. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wait, are you saying that there officially ISN'T a way of using a standard keyboard? I thought this was just some glitch that I was experiencing?

6. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Actually, I have no idea. I bought an Apple keyboard and adapted to it, so I stopped looking. The Apple layout is quite logical once you figure it out.

If there is an easy, official way of handling this issue, I was too dumb to find it when I switched. :)

7. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not when I've used ISO QWERTY all my life, & continue to do so on my 2x Linux boxes, Windows box & BSD box :\

I still find it hard to believe that you can't use a standard keyboard, what with one of the Mac Mini's selling points being that it works with any standard keyboard?

8. Mgkwho macrumors 6502a

There's no insert key for programming.

-=|Mgkwho

9. lost eden thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I've worked it out (actually found the solution whilst searching for something else!). I had the eact symptoms described here;

http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2005/11/20/using_a_british.php

& using one of the layouts linked to has worked perfectly :) Only minor gripe now is that it keeps on switching back to the Mac layout when I switch between programs, & sometimes just on a whim :\