Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

frankyboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2009
Hello,

need some help.
i used to transfer files between MAC and PC by using an USB Link cable.
everything worked perfectly when i used Windows XP and OS9.x on MAC.

now i have changed to OSX (10.4.11) but unfortunately the manufacturer didn't upgrade the file transfer software to OSX. only OS9 is supported.
OSX does recognize the USB link cable in the system informations but PC Windows XP doesn't recognize MAC as a remote machine, because of no special software running or installed on the mac.

my question: is there a special software out there who might be able to use this USB-Link cable to transfer files between MAC and PC and makes PC-Linq able to recognized MAC as a remote machine?

the cable i use is a discontinued product and the manufacturer already answered me that there won't be an update for OSX for the software which is called usbdatabridge.

i'm using the follwing:
PC: Windows XP (Software: PC-Linq)
MAC: OSX 10.4.11
USB Link cable: UN-161 (Aten)

hope someone can help.

does anyone know another good USB link cable? i urgently need a cable that works with PC and MAC to transfer files from PC to MAC and back. It must be USB and it doesn't matter if it's USB 1.0, 1.1 or 2.0.
however, before buying something new, i'd love to keep my current cable and hopefully someone does know an answer to fix the problem above.

Many thanks in advance!
frank

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
OK, I'll bite:
Why does it have to be USB?
There are other ways that are faster: firewire. direct ethernet (manual setup). network file sharing built into OS X.

lPHONE

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
I'd like to know too.

I bought this "pc-linq" cable off eBay and so far, it is USELESS JUNK. The seller says it's Mac compatible, but nothing about it being only for os9. Still it came with the outdated USB databridge which only has OS9 drivers.

BUYER BEWARE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.