USB Low Power Warning -- Where'd This Come From?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tonka8000, Apr 13, 2009.

1. tonka8000 macrumors newbie

So, I have USB 2.0 and have had my mac for over a year and half, and I've always been able to plug a USB drive into my keyboard. However, tonight I started to get a low power warning whenever I plug something into the keyboard. Is there a reason this is happening?:confused:

I've seen this happen on older macs, and wouldn't be as surprised, but it's been working without any problem up until now.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

devices that charge and so need more power need to be plugged into the main USB port and not chained off a keyboard.

i could be wrong though maybe its because you have the older Apple keyboard with just USB 1 ports.

3. tonka8000 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the older, white keyboard, but I also have the slimmer, new keyboard. It actually started giving me the problem with the new keyboard.

I'm a little concerned because it's been working fine for over a year.

4. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I think the new thin Apple keyboard only can charge devices etc. on the Aluminum iMacs, but they may have added it to newer machines. If you have the older white and plastic keyboard then you may be trying to draw too much power from that low power keyboard.
    Edit: What machine do you run it on? If it worked fine for a year and then doesn't work-that's odd. Maybe it got dropped?

5. tonka8000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, but can any explain why I haven't had a problem before? I'm just confused as to why it's just now doing this.

Machine:
    2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

6. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

7. tonka8000 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I had a bad feeling it might be tied to that darn update.

8. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

They giveth and taketh away. Who knows it might be something totally different.