USB Memory Stick capacity limitations?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wickedking94, Jun 20, 2010.

1. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

I have an iMac G3 500, and i bought a 4GB memory stick for it, but when i plug it in it doesn't appear.
    Is it an incompatibility with the hardware?
    is it usb 1.1 in general?
    Its running os 10.4 so it could be the os as well, but i don't think so.
    i know its not the memory stick because i tested it on another computer.
    And yes i tried the keyboard ports and the ones on the machine itself.

2. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks

thanks for the help.
    i have a real problem, and nobody can bother to answer. nice

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

You know, not everyone sees these. This is not a paid help desk, this is people helping people. Being snide is definitely not going to help.

I just noticed this in the MR main page sidebar, and was going to come help, but now that you've shown that you're horribly impatient and complainy about getting free help, never mind.

4. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

You need to format your newly-purchased 4GB flash drive. Open up Disk Utility and proceed to format in Journaled HFS+. Chances are it's formated as an NTFS drive. Though, I think OS X should be able to read FAT 32 by default so if you want to share on Windows machines use FAT.

USB 1.1 is just slow. It shouldn't hinder your ability to read and write to a flash drive unless the flash drive is defective and or your USB ports are shot. You said you did the hardware testing so all you really need to do is simply format the drive.

5. wickedking94 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok im not being snide.

Im not being snide or whiney or whatever. its a fairly important problem as i use a memory stick ever day. its just a bit annoying that after a couple days i havent got a response.

And to the guy nice enough to help me, i checked disk utility, but the drive wasn't there. my brother has a memory stick thats the same memory capacity from the same vendor, and it doesnt work. im thinking it might be one of those one in a million that dont work with certain computers.

thanks for the help. (and i mean it this time)

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It might be your computer. Sounds like a hardware limitation but I don't know where to begin. If you are trying to transfer files might you try FileZilla? You'll need a second computer but it'll send your files over. It's a good FTP program.