USB Mic and Line In

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by apsterling, Jan 1, 2009.

1. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

Is it possible for me to use both a USB microphone and line in at the same time in Logic Express? It'd be great to do this as I could finally record decent stereo on my drumset without paying through the nose for two or more mics and an audio interface.

Obviously I'm not too concerned about audio quality, this is just so my covers on YouTube aren't horridly overtrebled by my camera.

Thanks in advance!

2. james-thescalie macrumors member

I know you said you didnt want to pay through the nose but have you thought about an mbox2? They're relatively cheep for what you get. The packages i have seen you get the mbox2 with protools le software which is really good. google it and tell me what you think. Kind of pricey but good value

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Never tried it but I doubt that the Sound Control panel will allow you to access 2 different sources at once, I can't get my Mac's to listen to more than 1 input, regardless of the interface attached to it.

The M-box is a sound investment (pardon the pun) but cheaper systems like the Griffin iMic and any number of cheap stereo USB interfaces will work, and they won't lock you into Protools... (not a bad thing in my book).

4. apsterling thread starter macrumors 6502a

apsterling

If i'm going to spend any in it I'll probably wait until I have a job and save for a USB or FireWire interface with enough inputs for my whole kit and get mics.

Thanks, though.
    I was hoping there'd be some way to get logic to see them as two seperate inputs and allow me to use both.

5. Kid Calamity macrumors newbie

Stupid Question

...well, it'll probably come across as a stupid question to most folk on here - and, once the solution is offered it'll hopefully then seem stupid to me, too. :eek:

Right, I use the rather nifty Samson GTrack USB microphone for recording bits of songs from my band's rehearsal sessions.

Well, the results from using just one have been so good that we've decided to get another - in order to make stereo recordings.

Well, last night I tried plugging both into the old iBook I use, but the laptop was able to only see one mic at a time - despite there being two plugged in. Both mics load perfectly, when plugged in separately but not together. That's my dilema. I think it's a Mac OS thing rather than anything to do with Audacity, the recording software I'm using, though. Can anybody here suggest what I need to do to be able to load an additional USB device, please?

These mics each have a D. I. input for an instrument. On plugging the mic into the laptop Audacity (the recording software) automatically sets two tracks on the screen. We've been lining out from the back of the bass rig into the mic as a clean signal - and the mic itself records the rest of the room.

So, what I was expecting to happen last night was that the two mics; one with bass going in - and the new one with the vocal amp feeding in, would have automatically appeared as four bands of signal on the monitor.

I think the problem is simply how do I get a Mac to identify two USB devices together, rather than defaulting to a single input.

EDIT: Thanks to help from elsewhere, here's my answer:
    http://thedudesays.blogspot.com/2007/01/podcasting-with-two-usb-mics-in.html