USB Mic or XLR Mic + Mixer for Podcasting?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by NickD, Aug 2, 2007.

1. NickD macrumors 6502a

NickD

I'm going to be taking my podcasting and video blogging a little more seriously now, and therefore am upgrading my audio and video setups.

The question I have for you is this: Would you recommend a USB mic, or a regular XLR mic and a mixer for my podcasting work? The mic won't be used for vocal or instrument recording, just spoken word.

Thanks in advance!

Nick

2. zflauaus macrumors 65816

It mainly depends on what your price range is.

If you are looking for something for less than $100 that is USB, the Samson COU1 (I believe) gets really good reviews for good sound quality. For under $200: the Blue Mic Snowball. Really good quality, switch for directional or omni-directional, good reviews.

Generally, you'll always be better off with an XLR mic and a good USB/Firewire mixer, but it all depends on if you can afford it. I can't really give suggestions to XLR mics/mixers because I don't do that route yet and don't really research it, but that would generally be the best option for the best audio quality.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

4. NickD thread starter macrumors 6502a

NickD

OK. I'm looking at different options now. Let's say I got an XLR condensor mic and something like a Xenyx 802 mixer. What would be the best way to plug the mixer into my Mac?

Also, if I upgraded to the 1204 (or is the 1202?) and got direct USB in, would that be my best choice?

NickD

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

read the stickied primer to understand your input chain better.