USB Microphone

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Harrold, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Harrold macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2010
    My USB microphone gives off a robotic sound when I'm using Skype, the people who I'm in a call with often complain of a robotic sound when I talk. If I hold the call a few times it stops for a short period of time then it continues again. I read on the Apple discussion forum that others have experienced this problem too, apparently it started after an Apple Update. I can't find any topics saying that the issue has been fixed/how to fix it..

Has anyone else experienced this, or know how to fix it.. this is becoming very annoying for myself and the people who I'm Skyping with.

Thanks!! :)
  2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

Apr 27, 2009
    Have you tried using earphones while you Skype, so that the sound coming out of your speakers doesn't go back in through the microphone?

Alternately you could try a noise-reducing USB microphone that does this automatically.

These Phoenix Duets are the bomb...
  3. Harrold thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2010
    My mistake.. I worded my first post wrong. It's a USB Headset not just a microphone, so I have my microphone and and headphones powered by USB.

Anyone have any other suggestions on how I can prevent this from happening?
  4. Harrold thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2010
    Anyone have anymore suggestions, I thought the recent update (10.6.3) would fix it but it hasn't unfortunately.
  5. SimAnt macrumors newbie

Sep 12, 2010
    I am currently dealing with the exact same issue. I have had several headsets and they all do the "robot" after a while. I have found unplugging the USB and replugging fixes it for a short time, but does not solve the problem. Alternatively I have found that going to Audio MIDI Setup and changing the mics format from 44100 hz to 48000 hz and back will reset the mic making it non-robotic for a while. Hopefully we can find a solution to our problem eventually!