USB modem connected to Mac Mini can the Time Capsule produce wi-fi without...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by animatedude, Sep 4, 2010.

1. animatedude macrumors 65816

without connecting it to through the ethernet of the Mini? Yes or No?

USB Modem connected to the Mac Mini
    Time Capsule connected wirelessly to the Mac Mini

can this work to produce a Wi-Fi network in my apartment?

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

In theory, that should work. The TimeCapsule would just have a wifi network without internet access.

However, I'm not sure if the mini wouldn't be looking for the internet on the TC and not the USB modem. It's an interesting question. I'm guessing that finding the answer will be difficult as I'm sure very few people have this set-up.

My question ... why not connect the modem to the TC and do it the "normal" way? Does your modem have ethernet?

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I do not believe this will work. The Airport looks for the WAN only on the WAN port, not on the LAN or Airport connections.

4. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

on my desk i have the Mac mini and the Time Capsule, i don't wanna have another product on the desk whether it's a router or a modem that's why i chose a USB modem.

Mac Mini+Time Capsule+USB modem,what's the best set-up for this then?

5. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

Share the internet connection of the Mac Mini, connect the TC on the ad-hoc it created?

6. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

what do you mean "share"?

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

System Preference > Sharing > Internet Sharing turned ON (set to share connection from your USB modem to Airport).

Then configure your Time Capsule to join the wireless network in "Bridge Mode". I believe this is on the 2nd tab of the Advanced Settings in the Airport Setup Utility.

Your Mac Mini will provide IP addresses to the network and your Time Capsule will just act as a range extender.

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Maybe I'm thick, but I still don't get it. If you have three devices on your desk, what difference does it make if you go modem-->TC-->mini or modem-->mini<--TC? It's still 3 things on the desk.

Otherwise, what's the point of having a TC? Just buy an external hard drive and plug it in.

Unless you have a 3G/4G cell modem that's like a USB thumbdrive, but even then I'd rather have an external HDD than a TC.

9. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

No that's not 3 devices.that's 2,the USB will be just plugged on the back of mini which doesn't count.

i still don't get it and apparently USB modem plugged to the Mini or the Time Capsule will not work to produce a Wi-Fi internet connection...more comments are appreciated.

10. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What kind of modem is it? "USB modem" isn't telling me much. Do you have cable internet or DSL or something else?

Also, what exactly are you using the TimeCapsule for? Would it be for TimeMachine backups or something else.

11. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

what do you mean it's not telling you much?! it's a USB modem...a 3G USB modem plugged into the Mini,,,will the Time Capsule produce a Wi-Fi connection in my apartment where other macs can log on to the internet wether it's connected to the Mini via ethernet or wirelessly

??????

12. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Dude,

No need to get angry. This last post of yours is telling me much more than you had in the previous four.

I asked you if it was a 3G modem, but you didn't answer. You do realize there are some cable/dsl modems that only have USB. I was trying to get that bit of information from you.

Anyways, the information that lewis82 and NoCalLights posted should help you out ... but if all you want is to share your 3G modems connection, you don't need the TimeCapsule at all. All you need is to establish the internet connection via the USB modem. Then just turn on "Internet Sharing" on the mini's Sharing System Preference.

If sharing the 3G modem's connection is all you want, then don't buy the TimeCapsule.

Good luck.

13. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

iam buying a time capsule because it's a wireless hard disk but i want it to be the wirelss hub for other products like Apple TV and other Macs.

14. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

I see what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure if this will work as perfectly as you might want.

In any event, the mini would act as the primary basestation and the TC would be an extender. This part should work fine. It's the Airdisk part that I'm not certain about. Not sure if Airdisk can work on an extender ... only because this is not the standard way to set up a network.

Alternatively, you could plug a hard drive to the mini and share that with the networked Macs.

15. animatedude thread starter macrumors 65816

anyone tried this? if i connected the USB modem to my Mac mini then connected the Time Capsule to the Mini via ethernet,will it produce or extend the wi-fi network to other macs or Apple TV on my apartment?

16. lewis82 macrumors 68000

lewis82

You have to go in System Preferences, Sharing. Check internet sharing, choose "Airport" in the drop-down list, and check ethernet right under it.

See screenshot. It's in french, but you'll get trough ;)

Attached Files: