USB Modem for Macbook Question. Help needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by UrsaMajor, Feb 21, 2009.

1. UrsaMajor macrumors regular

Sorry that I posted this in iphone center too, but maybe mac people don't read that and I really need help on this.

Just got word that we'll be having an allowance from work to buy cards or USB devices to get the web on the road.

Here's the dilemma ATT wants 3g USB works with Mac at $60/2yr contract.
    They'll pay most of that for the time being BUT in this economy and speeds getting faster almost every year, I'd be stuck with it. MOST I'd want to go is a year(carrier doesn't matter we get $50/mo. but goes to a person not a business) in case there's any changes in staff and being stuck paying it or having a 5 G or something a year in and pay to break it off.

Basically it's to show off to clients how ads work at our company and how they can see there's other clients of ours have work for them that they can submit bids on.

Usage is very light. Not a replacement for my broadband only on the road type of things.

Questions:
    1. Is there reliable pre-paid 3G usb modems out there?
    2. Is there a cheaper way of doing this say, change out my sim card to the device from my Iphone? We're all ATT I know first gen (what I have) iphone allows me to use a crappy older cell when I go to the beach or anywhere it's too bulky or easier to break.
    3. Would it be cheaper to get ATT or another carrier to sell me a phone with a 3g package swap the sim to a USB device and use that.

Any input or ideas are welcome. I was told that iphone can't be tethered to the mac for web access too

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

My thoughts are that if you find a cheaper/less expensive way, you might be unhappy with your coverage area. I use Verizon and it's $60/2-year also. That seems like the going rate. I feel that it's worth it after getting a portable router to stick mine into so I can get multiple devices on the internet with the one connection.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I've been using the AT&T 3G USB thingy for awhile now. It's actually pretty fast and has a very strong signal everywhere I've been.(all states from Arizona to Illinois)
    If its something you need I'd say go for it! It's pretty nice to be able to get online anywhere.
    If you have any more questions about it feel free to ask me.