'USB mounter' utility?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mojolicious, Mar 21, 2014.

1. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I have a permanently attached USB drive with multiple partitions. I generally leave all but the Time Machine partition unmounted to reduce desktop clutter. But this means that every time I want to remount a partition I have to go to Disk Utility.

Is there a nice menu bar item, preferably with a pretty icon, which lets me mount local USB disks/partitions?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Perfect, thank you. I love the 'toggle' between mounted and unmounted.

Page you linked also has comment from developer which includes link to 1.7 beta. This allows you to hide EFI and Recovery HD partitions, which is nice.

4. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Oh maybe not perfect. It intermittently causes all the widgetty, right hand menu items to disappear momentarily before reloading. Console seems to be saying that the SystemUIServer process is restarted.

Will try the non-beta version 1.6 for a while.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Semulov (and Kainjow's other awesome utilities) are excellent but I switched to CleanMyDrive a while back. I've had no complaints. :)

6. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Thanks, I'll give it a spin, although Semulov 1.6 has been working like a charm.

Incidentally, I emailed Kainjow with a chunk of a crash report asking if he knew what the 1.7b problem was, and he very kindly replied saying it looked as though it was iStat Menus that was doing the closing/restarting of the menu bar items. Although Semulov 1.7b is obviously 'in the mix' somewhere.

7. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Unless I'm being unusually dense: CleanMyDrive can only eject mounted partitions, and isn't able to mount unmounted partitions?

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, Semulov has an option to show unmounted volumes and CleanMyDrive does not. If this is a dealbreaker for you then you'll want to stick with Semulov.

I didn't enable that option even when I was using Semulov because it listed all the EFI and recovery partitions and I thought it looked cluttered.

I wish CleanMyDrive would add this option and that both would allow to exclude certain partitions from being on the list.

9. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

The 1.7b version with its exclusion list fixes that, and hopefully won't result in your menu bar 'rebooting' every couple of minutes...

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Thank you very much and please pardon me for missing where you mentioned this ability to hide partitions already. Initially, I was looking for the 1.7 beta on Kainjow's site and not the Macupdate page where he posted a link to it.

I'm back with Semulov now. This version is great! I am not experiencing any problems thus far. I'm using the equally awesome menubar utility app, Bartender though so I wonder if that makes any difference.

Thanks again.

11. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

I'm giving 1.7b another spin. Hasn't started rebooting yet. Then again, I've not got any externals powered up :)

12. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Almost 24 hours for me now with 1.7b and no problems to speak of. I have a USB3 double HD cradle in constant usage and I have mounted/unmounted it just to be sure. I'll post back if things start going wonky.

13. mojolicious thread starter macrumors 68000

mojolicious

*prompted to update by another thread*

1.7b ultimately proved stable from a 'menu items reload' standpoint, once I'd uninstalled and reinstalled iStat Menus.

However I was getting regular (unspecified) 'drive unmounted' immediately followed by 'drive mounted' alerts. A couple of weeks ago I switched to 'Mountain' from the App Store, which has a few more features and bit more polish (as it should have for £2.49 rather than free).

No problems so far.

14. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Well, I'm glad you found a solution.

The 1.7 final release for Semulov came out a few days ago. Not sure if anything changed from the beta but it's still working fine for me.

If I ever do run into any problems I'll give Mountain a try.

Thanks for the tip. :)