USB Mouse/Keyboard loose power often, works fine when replugged

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iWonder, Jan 22, 2009.

1. iWonder macrumors newbie

I have a weird problem, My Mouse looses suddenly power when I am working and this happens frequently. It starts working if I replug the USB. Same goes with the Keyboard on a different USB port but fortunately not that frequently. But these two ports works absolutely fine if any other USB product is connected (I have tested with a Hard Drive, a Pendrive and a Phone connected via USB). Now, I have only two USB ports on my macbook pro.

Another test, I have a LCD screen which comes with two USB ports (Which takes power from macbook pro), the above same problem applies here. The Mouse stops working frequently in both of the ports frequently.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

How frequently? If you walk away and leave it for an hour or two, will you come back to find the mouse inoperable, or does this only happen after being used for a while?

3. iWonder thread starter macrumors newbie

I dont really need to go anywhere, it stops withing secs of replugging and sometimes hangs on for an hour or so.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

In that case, try booting to your restore disks and see if the problem occurs there as well.

5. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Does it happen when the machine wakes from sleep after leaving it? Or just arbitrarily at any point?

If you leave on your computer for long periods and just put it to sleep over night, try restarting it to see if it still happens.

Does it happen with only the keyboard or only the mouse, or when you have both of them plugged in? Does it only happen if you have the mouse plugged into the keyboard?

If it's the latter, try using both devices with their own ports and see if it happens as opposed to plugging the mouse into the keyboard's USB port.