USB Mouse "lag" with external display?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Hog Milanese, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Hog Milanese macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

Has anyone had an issue with their MacBook Air like this:

Hooked up an LG 23" IPS/LED monitor (via HDMI->MiniDVI), and am using a Logitech USB/wireless mouse, with the lid shut on the MacBook. Getting a considerable amount of "lag" and stutters with the mouse movement.

Any ideas? Should I just get an Apple BT mouse? :confused:

2. Hog Milanese thread starter macrumors regular

Hog Milanese

It seems that there's miles of threads and complaints on this throughout the internet, but no REAL solution. Has anyone found one?

The only band-aid is to keep the lid on your MacBook open while an external display is attached, but that's absurd.:mad:

3. ShaneBunting Suspended

I would say try rebooting or take it into apple and say you expect better. They should at least look into it!

Good luck

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Your thread title says "USB Mouse" but evidently your complaint is about a "wireless mouse". :confused:

I use an cheap, old USB mouse with my 2013 MBA and also used it with my 2011 MBA. I also use a really old 23" Apple Cinema Display all the time and have never seen any issues.

5. yensteel, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

yensteel macrumors regular

Been having the same problem for many months here as well. Went the apple store and they used a 15" VGA monitor to test, said no problems. Showed them videos the second day and they still said that if it doesn't show up on their VGA monitor, then there's nothing to do. Tried it on their thunderbolt display, no problems still. They said that my monitor's not an apple display, which is why I have these issues. :mad:

Same issue persists with wired and wireless mice here. SMC does improve it somewhat but the mouse is still very choppy. Smoothmouse does reduce some lag, but the jumpyness is still there.

Seriously temped to haul my external monitor over there to show them.

6. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

I've just experienced this exact problem on my new rMPB, sparingly similar to OP, LG screen and logitech wireless mouse and keyboard combo. Just switched the dongle over to the other USB port and problem solved, so far anyway. How bizarre, surely the USB port shouldnt make any difference?

7. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

Assuming a wireless mouse, how close to the USB receiver is your mouse?

I use a Logitech USB wireless, the laptop sits below the surface of my desk, and is about 2 feet (straight line) from the mouse. I have not experienced any lag whatsover. My external is a 23" Acer, using a Thunderbolt -> DVI adapter.