USB Mouse Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattwe, May 5, 2008.

1. mattwe macrumors member

I didn't know what would be the proper forum for this, but since it seems to be a leopard thing I thought this would be as good as any.

I have a generic Targus laptop mouse (meaning a normal mouse, just smaller). When I try to use it with leopard it will work for a little while (intermittent - sometimes it will work for 2 hours, sometimes 30 secs) before it just stops. Plug it back in and the same thing happens - I may get 30 more seconds or may get 30 more minutes.

I thought it may be a mouse issue, but the mouse works fine on other computers and I had a similar problem with an external Bluetooth mouse (but it "lost connection" after a little while).

Any idea what this might be?

/mw

BTW, 15" MBP running updated Leopard.

EDIT: It doesn't always work to unplug/replug the mouse. And, it is like the mouse isn't even there (when I check the disable trackpad if there is an external mouse present it doesn't turn off the trackpad when plugging it in) even though the mouse is getting juice (optical sensor is lighting up).

2. Cerebrus' Maw macrumors 6502

Does every other type of hardware run ok in the USB port? Just to make sure that the problem is not that secure.

Does the mouse run ok on any other computer?Mac or windows?

Anything from the manufactures website? Maybe driver update?

3. mattwe thread starter macrumors member

The only other stuff I use is a flash drive, which works fine.

It ran fine on my old computer (I am new to Macs) which had Windows and a couple of Linux distros on it.

They don't even have drivers for windows on there - it has a note saying it should be included with your operating system.

I need a new mouse anyway, and just put a bid in on one on e-bay, but I just am hoping this isn't a recurring issue with any mouse.