USB network adapter on Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by mattwolfmatt, Mar 18, 2009.

1. mattwolfmatt macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

My mini's airport is VERY weak - it only works if the source is in the same room. It is my fault; I bumped it when I was replacing the hard drive and upgrading memory.

Anyway I was wondering if a USB network adapter would work in the mini? Everything else works great, including the new hard drive and memory.

Thanks!

2. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We don't do that. Read the rules.

Just open it up and plug everything in properly again. I refuse to see why that would not be what you would have done immediately after discovering it didn't work.

4. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

um... the mini has an ethernet port.

unless you are asking about a USB wifi adapter, in which case, find one that says it works with OS X, then that should work with OS X

5. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

I did that several times immediately after discovering it didn't work. After seating it several times in the correct spot, it is still quite weak.

6. mattwolfmatt thread starter macrumors 65816

mattwolfmatt

My ethernet cable is downstairs, I'd rather not run a cable upstairs (it's a house I'm renting and can't hack into the walls).

I didn't know there were adapters for OSX. All the ones I see are XP/Vista. I'll keep looking.

7. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I know costco has some cheap ones that work with mac. I live in Canada, so im not sure if you have access to a costco.

8. txnoob macrumors 6502

9. njtc macrumors newbie

i just got a Hawking HWDN2 for my mini because my airport reception wasn't that great. my airport would get a 40% signal rating on my network, and the hawking connects at about 90% so i'm pretty impressed.

i do still want to try to replace the internal airport antenna with an external to see what i can get with that as i'd prefer to just use the airport over adding new hardware. so depending on how that works out i might sell the hawking.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=200321819002

I know it looks cheap. (It is.) But I've had one for over a year, used it on my iBook, Mac mini and all my PC's, it works great. I actually bought two more of these yesterday so I don't have to keep moving the one I have around everywhere. :)