Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3001vinny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
West Yorkshire, England
Hello,

I originally posted in the "2006/2007 Mac Pro (1,1/2,1) and OS X Yosemite" mega thread about the USB ports stopped working since upgrading to Yosemite and i was given some advice. Unfortunately, after trying it didn't resolve the issue. I didn't want to keep spamming the original thread so i though i could post a new one (if that's ok).

Before the upgrade the USB ports were all working fine and as soon as yosemite was installed they all stopped. Hennesie2000 kindly posted some things to try - repairing permissions and try booting with kext-dev-mode=1. But unfortunately that didn't work.

I looked at System Information and under the USB bit it has the below details. I don't know if it's meant to be like that(?)

Also this is on a Mac Pro 1,1 but it's been upgraded to a 2,1. The board ID is F4208DC8

USB Bus:

Host Controller Location: Built-in USB
Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBUHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x268a
PCI Revision ID: 0x0009
PCI Vendor ID: 0x8086
Bus Number: 0x5d

Bluetooth USB Host Controller:

Product ID: 0x8206
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 19.65
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x5d200000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 0

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x2689
Bus Number: 0x3d

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x268b
Bus Number: 0x7d

USB Bus:

PCI Device ID: 0x2688
Bus Number: 0x1d

USB Hi-Speed Bus:

Host Controller Driver: AppleUSBEHCI
PCI Device ID: 0x268c
Bus Number: 0xfd

I did try and search for people with similar issues but there wasn't any real fixes. A few people who had a similar issue with USB stopped working with Yosemite had reset the NVRAM and it resolved the issue, i tried that but it didn't work, and i also reset the SMC but that didn't work either.

Also, i noticed this happened when i briefly had Mavericks installed but i had to revert back to lion because i had the standard Graphics card in, i now have the ATI 5870 card installed.

Sorry for the wall of text.

Thank you,
Vinny

3001vinny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
West Yorkshire, England
I've just loaded Lion and the USB ports do work. I checked in System Information and it displays the same information, albeit in a different order.

One thing i forgot to add in the original post was that when i was booting with Yosemite and i had my phone connected in it pinged to say it was charging. This happened from the chime, then as soon as the apple logo with the loading bar appeared it stopped charging.

Last edited:

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Yosemite does have some issues with USB at times (the infamous Disk not ejected properly error). I'd try again from scratch using a spare HD. See if you can get them to work with just a basic install.

BTW, my iPhone does that too. I try not to have it connected to the computer to avoid this.

3001vinny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
West Yorkshire, England
Yosemite does have some issues with USB at times (the infamous Disk not ejected properly error). I'd try again from scratch using a spare HD. See if you can get them to work with just a basic install.

BTW, my iPhone does that too. I try not to have it connected to the computer to avoid this.

Thanks, i'll try.

I only ever connect my phone to transfer data.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
I don't know where to go from here regarding the internal ports. Hopefully someone with an older Mac has the answer.

As a bandaid measure, you could install a compatible PCIe card and gain USB 3.0.

3001vinny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
West Yorkshire, England
What is the difference between a normal usb 3 and a mac compatible usb pci-e card? Can you recommend one?

Also, if anyone else has any ideas what the problem could be i would greatly appreciate it.

Vinny

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
What is the difference between a normal usb 3 and a mac compatible usb pci-e card? Can you recommend one?

The drivers I would guess, also different USB hardware controllers.

, if anyone else has any ideas what the problem could be i would greatly appreciate it.

Vinny

Read through this thread and see what you find.

Also, I wonder what other users are doing. Are they facing the same problems when putting Yosemite on an older machine? I haven't heard much noise about that, but then again I don't normally pay that much attention to the goings on where the older machines are concerned as I started with a 5,1.

Could it be that it has something to do with the method of the install? I would seek out the help of others on the original thread where you got the install instructions. If anyone has knowledge of this issue, you'll likely find them in that thread. I'm just guessing and trying to help since you're not getting much of a response. I'm sure there are MANY people here with greater technical knowledge than I, who could enlighten you on the issue. If I were you, I'd seek them out in the original thread.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Issue ended up being an old WiFi card that needed to be removed.

Both Airport slot and BT connector are wired on USB bus, so future folks who find this thread should look to those.

3001vinny

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 5, 2015
West Yorkshire, England
Thank you :)

Edit:

The wireless card that was in the MP that caused the conflict is

Model No: AR5BXB6
Serial No: 6F74506X3U4GA
AP ID: 001CB3B1B9D5

Last edited:

rkep01

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
Oak Ridge, NJ

Both Airport slot and BT connector are wired on USB bus, so future folks who find this thread should look to those.

Thank you MacVidCards. Changed out the old wifi card(it was the same model # as 3001vinny's) and voila! All the usb ports are now working and wifi is back. I've been working on this for several days now to no avail until I happened upon your post. It's funny though, if I booted up using Lion, all usb ports worked. Booting from Yosemite, none of them worked.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Thank you MacVidCards. Changed out the old wifi card(it was the same model # as 3001vinny's) and voila! All the usb ports are now working and wifi is back. I've been working on this for several days now to no avail until I happened upon your post. It's funny though, if I booted up using Lion, all usb ports worked. Booting from Yosemite, none of them worked.

I had the same problem with my 1,1 pro. I'm using a usb wifi dongle now. May I ask which wifi card you installed?

rkep01

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2015
Oak Ridge, NJ
I had the same problem with my 1,1 pro. I'm using a usb wifi dongle now. May I ask which wifi card you installed?

I don't remember what the model number was, but is was an Apple branded card. I bought mine on Ebay back during 2012. I went back in my purchase history to see if I could find a record, but it only goes back to 2013. They're not expensive. Here's a link to an Ebay page of Apple wifi cards. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=apple+mac+pro+wifi+card&_sacat=0.

Reactions: Ih8reno

meet.nick

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2016

My USB port were not working too on a Mac Pro 1,1 with Yosemite and I did as MacVidCards suggested. I removed the wifi card and all the USB ports are fine now. Thanks a lot MacVidCards!

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I know Yosemite is not for 2006/2007, but nevertheless it's disappointing that an Apple Airport card would break built-in Apple USB ports due to an Apple OS update. It's the sort of thing I'd expect only from third party products.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.