USB not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lisharts, Sep 17, 2010.

1. lisharts macrumors member

I just got my macbook pro on monday and today when plugging in my keyboard and mouse into the 1st USB I notice it's not working. I plug them into the 2nd and it works fine. Is this going to be a hardware issue? I'm sort of gutted, I thought I had a perfect one and now I find something isn't working as it should be. :(

2. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I can't imagine a keyboard and mouse pulling too much current, so my guess is that there is indeed something wrong with the MacBook Pro. Since you just got it, I highly suggest you bring it to an Apple Store or call AppleCare as soon as possible.

3. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

On the phone now. :( Sadly I live nowhere near an apple store. I'm so disappointed right now.

I tried my external hard drive in it too. The light comes on but it doesn't pop up on the desktop. Both the mouse/keyboard and hard drive work in the port nearest me.

4. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

Ok it's being replaced. They said a courier will phone in the next 2 days to pick up my current MBP and that another would be sent out priority. Anyone have any experience of this and how long it should take? He said my delivery estimate was the 28th on his computer but it would be here sooner than that.

5. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, I've had products replaced by Apple before. They were pretty painless experiences. They send you a box and you put your device in it. You schedule for the carrier to come pick it up. In a few days, you get your replacement. Also, from my experience, they tend to over estimate the amount of time it takes for you to receive your replacement.

6. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. That's reassuring at least.

Is there anyway for me to track my replacement package?

7. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes, you will be given tracking numbers for both the sending out of your defective MacBook Pro and for the return of the replacement.

8. lisharts thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. I've just had an e-mail. Oh well these things happen (although they do usually happen to me! :)).

This might be a stupid question but...

I'm new to time machine but if I run a backup today on this laptop would I just be able to restore this setup to my new one when it arrives? Or is it better I just start fresh?

9. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

Yes. If you ran Time Machine before sending it off, you can use it to restore everything you have now on to the replacement computer.

I don't think there's a "better" in your situation. Just personal preference. If it were me, I'd go with the Time Machine route because I'm lazy.