USB on left

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jonhemlock43, Jan 20, 2009.

1. jonhemlock43 macrumors newbie

Why are the USB ports on the left? My mouse is always on the right. What am I not getting. Is there a reason for this design?:confused:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You're to swing the mouse cable around the back.

3. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Which is fine, unless you're using an apple-designed wired mouse. The cord on the mighty mouse is about 18" long, so that doesn't work. Not that I'm a huge fan of the mighty mouse anyway.

I ended up switching to a wireless mouse for my macbook.

4. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Use a bluetooth wireless mouse.

Wireless Mighty Mouse Rules.

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Apple designers were looking for inspiration and came across a 12" Powerbook which has the same problem.

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Because its 2009 and most people use wireless mice with laptops by now.

7. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Because Apple has figured out that 10% of the market is left handed, and they're happy with that market share. The other 90% will just have to adapt.

8. jonhemlock43 thread starter macrumors newbie

input appreciated

i guess there is no really good reason. i suspect that a wireless mouse is the way to go.:)

9. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

It sucks, because when I hook it up to an external monitor, I have a USB Keyboard, USB Mouse, Mini DVI cable to the monitor, speakers, and soon an external hard drive, and it makes everything look really messy

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

If Apple put it on the right, then people would complain about why it's not on the left.

11. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

To give us something to talk/complain about! LOL.

12. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

Just buy a breakout box with Four USB ports and put it out of the way.:p

13. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Put them on both sides. I love having one on the right and two on the left

14. bay2sacto macrumors member

Do you mean a USB Hub? lol. That's what I have with my unibody MBP. Just make sure its a powered hub if you want to plug in USB devices that require more power than the USB bus can provide (external HDs w/out their own power, etc). I bought a Belkin 7-port powered hub (model f5u700). It does the job nicely, except the cord is like 1 inch long. J/K its like 3' but might as well be. My MBP is only about 2' from an outlet on one side and about 5' from the surge strip on the other and the short power cord makes it hard to place the hub. But luckily all my USB devices can work off the bus. Oh and the damn thing is a LED lighted model, which I didn't see until after I got it home :mad:. I know LEDs are cheap and all, but do the manufacturers have to stick em in everything without a switch or button to turn off the lights :confused:?

15. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

I should have said powered, But yes. I use one cause I hate having all those cables where I can see them. Its in a drawer with my Harddrives, Wireless mouse and KB transmiters. All you see is the power cable and one USB cable.:D

If you want to turn the lights on and off, just crack it open and put a small push button switch in there. Radio shack has a real small one, just find the line in for them and your done.

16. bay2sacto macrumors member

ehh...too much work for what it's worth. I just cover it at night or deal with it. I just hate how every little usb device no matter how small or insignificant has to have unnecessary LED lights everywhere. Its like when the millennium rollover came everyone decided to make all their devices silver/metallic no matter what they were. Just a fad I have to ride out :rolleyes:

17. WinkWink726 macrumors regular

WinkWink726

y'know, i still haven't jumped on this bandwagon yet!
    i dunno...
    i use my laptop either quite literally IN my lap (couch, armchair, etc) or at school on those tiny college sized desks (with no room for a mouse!) or in a chair in the union somewheres.

my fiance got a wireless mighty mouse for the PB G4 and its pretty sweet tho!
    just wish it was some sorta color, or aluminum, itself? :rolleyes:

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Really? For a whole slew of reasons I don't like using wireless mice, especially BT and when USB mice have 1000hz interpolling and true zero lag.

Why is it on the left? Space saving I guess. If I had a USB mouse jetting out of a port on the right then the space usable for the mouse is then limited.