USB on OSX

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mthiessenrox, Nov 17, 2010.

1. mthiessenrox macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I am a windows user; I am a musician who performs with VST plugins live on a DAW (Ableton Live); I frequently have issues with my USB MIDI keyboard and USB external audio interface, sometimes the devices turn unresponsive at random periods. Through tests I have ascertained that it is definitely NOT caused by my usb port nor my midi keyboard. I think switching to OSX would fix that? Because I heard that OSX doesn't use drivers or something along those lines; also many musicians out there use Macs. :)Does anyone know about usb issues in windows or how usb works on osx? Your input is appreciated.

2. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

I'm not a musician, but it seems to me that the best way to figure this out is to find a friend with a mac and try it out. Chances are, since it sounds like you have pretty recent audio hardware, that all you'll have to do is plug it in and it'll work. However a new computer is a big investment and you should make sure before you buy one. Put a plea out on facebook asking if anyone has a mac you could try out and someone will come to your help. Or you could try an apple store.

OS X does have drivers, but they are updated more with OS updates than "goto some website and download drivers".

3. mthiessenrox thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help and info.. Yeah I guess i'll need to try one.. Need to install the software on the mac to test though.. just to be sure. Not sure how I'm gonna do that. Great to hear about the drivers, hopefully everything will work fine on osx.