usb on uphone 2011

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by notready, Aug 13, 2010.

1. notready macrumors newbie

will apple dismiss the 30 pin connector on the iphone when they are going over to usb next year? or will they use both connectors?

2. davidhawkins123 macrumors regular

Apple joined the micro USB agreement in europe so yes I think they will

3. langers2010 macrumors member

It depends how they interpret the regulations. The iPhone charger is a USB charger so they just change it so the 30pin dock cable that comes with the phone goes to micro-usb instead of full usb - but then it would not work with the computer.

I dont know, I can't realistically see them replacing the 30pin dock connector because it is the same connection on all iDevices (except shuffle) so the universal docks, cables, chargers etc wont be universal anymore. interesting to see how they buy into this and although its just a european initiative, it will obviously affect everywhere as they are not going to do one thing for europe and one thing for ROW

4. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

Simple. They will supply an adapter for the 30pin connector to micro-USB

5. jamied95 macrumors 6502

Another bit, which will undoubtedly get lost. Which Apple will charge £25 for. Thank EU.

6. grantsdale macrumors 6502a

... Just don't use the adapter then?

7. minik macrumors 65816

That sounds more logical.

8. jamied95 macrumors 6502

But you need the adapter to plug it into the phone. Without it it's a useless cable, well for iPhone owners anyway. Unless you buy a cable without the unnecessary bit, which costs however much...

To be honest, I don't see how this new legislation helps, all new phones come with new chargers anyway, and when phone companies inevitably cut the charger out of the initial purchase you have to buy a new one, and they'll price them ridiculously high, because a customer has to buy it... they need it for the phone to work... brilliant business tactic, useless for the customer.

9. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

you mean to tell me you don't have a single dock adapter cable?

I see your point when looking at the big picture, but for you personally it shouldn't be an issue (I'm assuming, since you are on macrumors in the iPhone section. But I could be totally off base)