USB or ExpressCard wireless adapter recommendations?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LoneWolf121188, Jun 24, 2008.

1. LoneWolf121188 macrumors 6502a

OK, I'm getting sick and tired of Apple's crappy 802.11n drivers. I'm one room away from my WAP, but my signal strength is around 60% and the signal keeps dropping intermittently and often takes forever to reconnect. My brother's Acer laptop (which is 802.11g, btw, not n) has absolutely no problems. I want to try using an external (USB or ExpressCard) card...does anyone have any recommendations?

2. forgottensoft macrumors regular

Before buying a seperate card, let it be known that being N is much more powerful than B+G , I suggest trying to tweak the base station in one of these ways-
    1. Turn Down Transmit Power- Often, if a N signal is in a small space it will bounce around and cause signal reliability power. I had this problem and I turned transmit power down to 20% and I had full bars and a reliable signal
    2. Disable N- You should try switching to the signal from N(B+G) compatible to straight B+G

IF none of these work, I would Look at Sonnett. They have some good hardware

3. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

yea guess what?

that usb/ec34 card you buy, is still gonna get less signal that what you have already.

why waste the money?

4. LoneWolf121188 thread starter macrumors 6502a

^^ Because hopefully the driver won't be crap and it won't keep dropping the signal.

The router is a G router, not N.

5. shmutheprophet macrumors regular

Wierd, I get full strength on an N router from upstairs (router is downstairs).

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You've got bigger problems then what a 3rd party wifi adapter is going to solve. Apple's hardware and OS are very closed and even 3rd party devices still probably use Apple's iteration of the Broadcom drivers. I think that (I'm assuming you're coming from Windows) you're used to drivers being an issue when something doesn't work right, but we don't really have that problem. It sounds like your physical wifi card has a hardware issue.

If a clean install of OSX doesn't fix it, nothing will. You just need to get it serviced by Apple.

ninja edit - Frankly, none of the symptoms you described seem remotely like a driver issue.