Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBlues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Mexico
Hi there, i had formatted my hard drive and tried to put the slakintosh 12 os.

Well, the install disc dont want to work and i decide re-load the old os

i have the File system carpet in a usb, i want to run it, but i dont know the command to do it.

some one can help???

iMac Bondi g3 rev B 233

tanks

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You cannot boot off of a USB drive under OS9, or on most PPC Macs. You will have to find an OS9 CD and install from that (by holding "c" at startup). This is your only solution, as the original iMacs didn't have Firewire Ports, so you can't put it into target disk mode.

TEG

MacBlues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Mexico
You cannot boot off of a USB drive under OS9, or on most PPC Macs. You will have to find an OS9 CD and install from that (by holding "c" at startup). This is your only solution, as the original iMacs didn't have Firewire Ports, so you can't put it into target disk mode.

TEG

I cant find it to download in the net, cos´i buyed it (the imac) used.

some help???:confused:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
You could always download the OS 9 DMG/ISO from Apple and burn it to a CD (on a Mac if it is the DMG file) and boot from that. Beyond that, your best bet is to someone who owns a copy of OS 9 that they are not using, nor have installed currently (for legal reasons) and buy it from them to use. You may even be able to get a copy of the CD from Apple, but I would not know how to do that, aside from contacting Apple Care or Apple Sales.

TEG

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007

TEG

My kid will prove you wrong. He built a bootable OS9 USB stick on our eMac and I think iMac.

Here is an article from 2000 on G3 iMacs mentioning they are bootable: http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENT...tes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/iMac_Aug00/imac.23.html .

Many of the older macs G3, G4, etc are USB bootable.

But OS X itself was not USB bootable until 10.4.3, so many of these older Macs 'lost' the USB boot ability until 10.4.3 came out.

Apparently all the OS X only Macs shipped before 10.4.3 couldn't be booted from USB - until 10.4.3 shipped years later.

Reports are that all the intel machines are USB bootable, but they all shipped with at least 10.4.4.

Trip.Tucker

Mar 13, 2008
Hi there, i had formatted my hard drive and tried to put the slakintosh 12 os.

Well, the install disc dont want to work and i decide re-load the old os

i have the File system carpet in a usb, i want to run it, but i dont know the command to do it.

some one can help???

iMac Bondi g3 rev B 233

tanks

What is "slakintosh 12 os" ?

Edit: Never mind, found it.

MacBlues

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Mexico
My kid will prove you wrong. He built a bootable OS9 USB stick on our eMac and I think iMac.

Here is an article from 2000 on G3 iMacs mentioning they are bootable: http://developer.apple.com/DOCUMENT...tes/Macintosh_CPUs-G3/iMac_Aug00/imac.23.html .

Many of the older macs G3, G4, etc are USB bootable.

But OS X itself was not USB bootable until 10.4.3, so many of these older Macs 'lost' the USB boot ability until 10.4.3 came out.

Apparently all the OS X only Macs shipped before 10.4.3 couldn't be booted from USB - until 10.4.3 shipped years later.

Reports are that all the intel machines are USB bootable, but they all shipped with at least 10.4.4.

Thanks dude, i try but i dont know the command boot from a usb.

I had record a cd with the image of the "recuperation disk" utility (the same of the usb). I turn on the iMac, hit the "c" key and the screen stay grey. No more, no start.

I need a command or something more???

thanks

the burn has made in a macbook with os x 10.5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.