USB OSX disc - not installer disc

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by scottf0411, Jul 31, 2014.

1. scottf0411 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I am running Mavericks 10.9.4 on my MacBook Air 13" Mid 2013 at the moment and want to create a USB boot disk so I can run one particular app (MYOB) as I believe that it won't be able to run on Yosemite 10.10 when it comes out.

MYOB want to charge me over $700 Australian to buy the upgrade to run it on 10.10 but this is extortion!

Once and if I upgrade to 10.10 is it possible to create a USB drive running 10.9 and just plug that in, restart the computer and open MYOB that way?

I've looked at forums and lots of info on install usb drive but I don't actually want to install 10.9 just run 10.9 on this usb drive.

How do I get a running version of the OSX 10.9.4 onto the usb drive and operate the computer that way??

Many thanks for all your help.

Cheers Scott

2. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Yes you can install OSX to a USB stick though it might run S_L_O_W. I recently picked up a 64 GB USB stick for about $20 and while I planned to use it as a "one install stick to rule them all" I also thought about installing OSX on it just for tinkering.

Why not partition your Macintosh HD and leave 25 GB or so to run Mavericks after you upgrade your main HDD to Yosemite?

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The Mavericks partition is the best idea. Think carefully about how you'll back it up, however.

4. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

Or you can simply skip Yosemite altogether. I have the PB1 on a separate drive, but it doesn't really offer me anything over mavericks. I'll probably not upgrade my mavericks on the main ssd, because really, is it worth losing compatibility of your expensive apps just to have a redesigned GUI? Sure there are a couple of features that MIGHT be of use to you but probably not for me.

I'm probably going to wait this one out and see what comes AFTER Yosemite.

5. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

You don't even need 25GB. 10GB is enough for a barebones OS install. Store the actual application and data on the Yosemite partition.

You can even have apps like iTunes use the library on the main Yosemite partition. Don't, however, try to share the home directory itself. Newer versions of (especially stock Apple) apps may use configuration files that aren't backwards compatible with older versions.

6. scottf0411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, thanks for replies.

How do I actually go about creating suitable partition without damaging my current drive?

And then how to install Mavericks on partition?

Appreciate all help

Cheers Scott

7. barkmonster, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2014

barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

If you get a fast 64Gb USB 3.0 stick or a fast SD card (look for type 10 if it's an SD card in a reader or high speed in the description if it's a USB stick), you should be able to clone your OS onto it from your system drive.

Using something like Carbon Copy Cloner, you can clone over your system and leave any media files on your existing system drive to save space.

My whole OS takes up under 40Gb on my SSD and my iTunes library and downloads folder are on a seperate internal HDD see.

I use a USB universal drive adapter and an old 60Gb 7200rpm ATA drive as a Mavericks boot drive and my main system drive is still booting 10.8.5 because I have the same situation as you. Older software I can't afford to update just for compatibility.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

My suggestion:

1. Evaluate your "capacity needs". How much of your internal drive is used up?

2. Based on the evaluation above, buy a USB3 flash drive suitable to hold everything with extra room (required to give the OS "breathing room" to operate)

3. Use CarbonCopyCloner (or SuperDuper) to clone the contents of your internal drive to the flash drive. CCC is free to download and free to use for 30 days. SD lets you do a "full clone" without registering the software.

4. Once done, "test boot" the flash drive to be sure it works.

A USB3 flash drive, while not as fast as an internal or external SSD, is suitably quick to be an alternative boot device, when required.

9. !!! macrumors 6502

Just go into disk utility, partition your drive (look it up if you don't know how) then download the installer from the App Store, and install it on the second partition.