USB Over Current Notice HELPP!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macluvaa, Jun 11, 2010.

1. macluvaa macrumors newbie

Hi I have a mac os x and whenever i try to put in my Nikon camera charger to charge and upload pictures i keep getting a USB Over Current Notice. What should I do will this damage my computer? I need help! :confused: :eek:

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

If it only happens with that charger and not other USB devices, its the charger. If it happens with all USB devices or you get the message even when you don't have anything connected, try an SMC reset or otherwise take it in for repair.

3. larkost macrumors 6502a

My guess is that you are plugging the device into the USB port on your keyboard. The message means that the device is trying to pull more power than that USB port has available. On older computers the keyboards did not support "full power" devices (and on the newer ones, only a single "full power" device).

The easiest solution would be to plug the charger into a USB port on the back of the computer. These are all "full power" ports, and each has enough juice for a device.

And there is no need to worry about damage. The USB spec has provisions for the devices to negotiate to the proper level, so they will not damage each other.