USB Over Current notice on boot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sic, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Sic macrumors 6502

I'm getting the lovely USB over current message when Leopard first opens on my MBP. There are no devices attached to it on boot. I have reset the NVRAM, PRAM and SMC and this has had little effect (it's delayed the message popping up by up to 5 seconds). I've looked on the Apple discussions site, but all the articles there are due to people getting this message when they attach a USB device, not with nothing attached.

The port in question is the one on the left of the MBP, just in front of the power port. The other port on the right of the MBP is working perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on things I could try to rectify this?

Thanks

2. rollercoasta Guest

rollercoasta

Nope :)

7 years later - same problem :)

After plugging an accidentally short-circuited battery-charger in the only USB-Port of my MacBook Air - the port has gone. Not recognizing any devices any more - just the "over current notice" upon every every startup is more alive than ever, and every bootlog states "the usb-port has been disabled" :)

Since neither PRAM- and SMC-Reset, nor unplugging the usb-hatch, nor a complete OS-X-re-install, nor the combination of all helped, I'm trying to get acquainted to the thought of having my logicboard replaced...

But can that be true? Is there really no other way to convince your mac that the over current is no longer existant?

3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Well, the computer may know more than you do - the port may be damaged, or more likely the traces on the board or some component.

The other possibility is that it's shorting to ground - clean the pins with a little dab of alcohol on a swab (a small amount!) and check for other debris in the port itself.

If the traces on the board are damaged then the controller could very well be sensing an overcurrent condition. Without inspecting the board you won't know this.

4. rollercoasta, Jul 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014

rollercoasta Guest

rollercoasta

Oh oh... The "damaged-traces-theory" would indeed explain the behaviour...

Update: I sent my Mac to a Logicboard repair-center, to miss no chance - received it back today. No chance to fix the problem - replace the Logicboard... 8/

Sad, but true...