USB Over Current Notice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NYR99, Feb 16, 2009.

1. NYR99 macrumors 6502a

Hello,

Lately I have been getting this pop up over and over:

USB Over Current Notice

A USB device is currently drawing too much power.
    The hub it is attached to will be deactivated.

There is not one thing plugged into my MacBook. I am using a bluetooth mouse.

What is going on and how can I resolve this?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's possible your USB port is shorting itself, so I would have it checked out and fixed.

3. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hope not.

I already had the logic board replaced twice on this thing.

Good thing for Apple Care.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

5. MaggieMcK macrumors newbie

Same problem with USB Device is currently drawing too much power notice

This message has started to happen on my MacBook Pro too. I recently upgraded to Leopard... what can I say, I've been busy. But, I've got NOTHING plugged into my computer, and it happens whether it is plugged into a power source or running on battery.

I hope someone has a remedy.

6. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Have either of you tried blowing out your USB ports with some air just to make sure there's no dust or anything that could cause a short?

7. duky macrumors 6502

I had this happening with my Apple Bluetooth keyboard some time back on my brand new iMac. Was the most annoying thing ever and I tried everything. Only till I tried the keyboard out on another computer did I realize that it was probably just the keyboard--I took it back to the store and got a replacement and it was the end of seeing that stupid dialog box.

8. NYR99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apple told me to fix it they would have to replace the logic board. Since I had already gotten the logic board replaced 2 other times, (both for unrelated reasons) I told them that a 3rd logic board replacement would be unacceptable. They replaced the whole MacBook with no problem (with a better one, too!).

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...what did you have and what did they replace it with?

10. ahardman macrumors newbie

USB overcurrent message

I have started getting the same stupid message for the last couple of months. Interestingly, it always does it when I plug in my Nikon photo camera (never had this problem with this camera for the past two years). If I plug a camcorder (you would think it should draw more energy), everything is fine. It drives me crazy as I can't upload the photos. I tried all USB ports on my computer, they all give me the same message. I do not know what to do about it. Camera wasn't even on. Any ideas? Thanks.