USB Over Current???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pauliphone, Jul 11, 2009.

1. pauliphone macrumors regular

Plugged my iPhone in to sync today and got an error message saying it was 'drawing too much power'!!
    The iPhone won't appear in the iTunes window so I can't sync it... Have tried resetting MacBook and iPhone but still get the same message (see attached pic).
    Any ideas anyone or am I going to have to trek off to the genius bar!!

Attached Files:

2. mattpreston11 macrumors 6502a

unplug other usb things.

make sure (if its a macbook) that its plugged into the wall.

try different usb ports.

3. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the advice,
    it is the only usb device attached, i'm plugged into the wall and have tried both usb ports.... looks like i'm off to see a genius!

4. chinajon macrumors newbie

chinajon

USB Overcurrent Notice and USB hub failure iMac 24

I got this same overcurrent notice. Now only one USB port works, and it is low power.

It is an iMac 24, 3GHz. 10.5.7.
    I struggled a lot with this. Unplugged everything except the keyboard and mouse. I got it to start by plugging in only the keyboard, hitting OK to the overcurrent warning, and then plugging in the mouse. The other ports are dead. If I plug in anything else to the keyboard, the USB port closes. The other ports never wake up.

Repair Prefs. √
    Repair HD. √
    Boot from external HD. √
    Ran applejack. Auto √
    (During applejack the warning continued. It said "Fatal Error - port 2 of hub at 0xfc40000 reported error 0xe00002ed while doing adding device.) No devices were being added at that time. All USB ports were free except the one with the keyboard and the one in the keyboard for the mouse.
    Reset PRAM. √
    Use wireless mouse. √
    Re-install system 10.5 √
    Update to 10.5.7 √

No effect. I can get both the keyboard and mouse to work only by starting up with only the keyboard and after return to the overcurrent warning, plugging in the mouse.

I am going to look for a USB plist next, and delete it.

After that, I will take it in for repair.

This is the first serious problem I have had with this machine in about a year of daily use.

5. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

Do you have a powered USB hub lying around? If so, trying plugging your iPhone in that hub and connect the hub to your Mac... See what happens?

6. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

@ OP: Does it make a difference if the iPhone is fully charged before you connect it to the MBP?

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

8. pauliphone thread starter macrumors regular

i went to the genius bar, turns out it was the data cable that was faulty and not the macbook or the iphone.
    they swapped the cable and worked perfectly, they said it must have just been a dodgy connection in the cable somewhere.