USB overcurrent notice WITH powered hub.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FrankBro, Dec 22, 2010.

1. FrankBro macrumors newbie

I found my old powered usb hub yesterday and tried to use it with my 2008 macbook pro to connect my different midi instruments (pad, controller and a keyboard).

Unfortunatly, I keep receiving a USB overcurrent error as soon as I plug 1 midi instrument in the powered hub which is connected in the MBP. I've read multiple threads about the USB overcurrent problem and most were fixed by buying a powered hub but I already use a powered hub. The hub seems to be working since the lights are lighting up as soon as I plug it in the wall without being connected in the MBP.

Also, all the controllers are working proprely when connected to the MBP itself.

It is a 4 slot USB 2.0 hub from APC. Should I buy a new hub ?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

yes,
    if the hub is giving you errors why not?

3. FrankBro thread starter macrumors newbie

Because it seems to be in working condition and after a LOT of google, I found multiple threads with the same problem, blaming the motherboard.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you say, old powered hub ...

How old.

If it is old enough, it could be sending the wrong information to the machine. Or none at all.

With the Macbooks, a powered hub that is sending the wrong/incorrect info to the machine might get shut down -- or a warning might show up.

Looking at the USB info on that specific hub in, about this Mac, might show you what the Mac is seeing.

:apple: / about this mac / more info / hardware / usb / device-hub

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm just stating the obvious, that if that hub is causing problems (and usb hubs are cheap) why deal with an overcurrent problem that could potentially harm your devices.

If you still want to use it, feel free, its your decision. If it was me, and I was seeing problems. I'd buy a new one, they're dirt cheap.