USB Overdrive + Magic Trackpad...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ViveLeCorn, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ViveLeCorn macrumors newbie

I just got a Apple Magic Trackpad in the mail and was soooo stoked to use it... but I ran into software issues. My trackpad was not scrolling, or did not understand 4 finger swipe commands... all I was able to do was navigate the screen with the cursor and click... seemed very useless.

Then I researched and realized that a system preferences app I installed called USB Overdrive is, well, literally overdriving the commands for my new trackpad. From what I read, the only solution to fixing this problem was to uninstall USB Overdrive completely. Once I did this, my Magic Trackpad was finally functional.

I'm happy that I can now work the Magic Trackpad, but very bummed that I can't use USB Overdrive anymore. I used to use it for gaming primarily, and while gaming is not the intended reason I got my computer for, I would still like that privilege to use it to play games. I use my computer mainly for graphic design work, and I suppose I can live without ever using USB Overdrive again, but I do like gaming every now and then :(

So does anyone know a way where USB Overdrive and the Magic Trackpad can be used without any issues? Or if not, does anyone have any similar applications I can use for the Mac where I can input a controller, and reconfigure the buttons that USB Overdrive used to do? I would appreciate any help/insight!

PS - my computer specs are in my signature if it may help with resolving this issue I'm talking about. Also, I used the latest version of USB Overdrive (3.0.1) and am running OSX 10.6.6 now.

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

3. ViveLeCorn, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

ViveLeCorn thread starter macrumors newbie

I've searched that thread, and that's where I learned that I gotta uninstall USB Overdrive to get the trackpad to work. Thanks for the help, but those suggestions I read there don't work at least for me. I'm hoping someone else has a better solution for this situation that works :(

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

You're using a trackpad for gaming? I'm sure people are kicking your a$$ online :D It'll be much easier to game with a mouse, particularly a gaming mouse like the logitech mx 518. You can uninstall usb overdrive and use the native built in drivers to mac and windows.

5. ViveLeCorn thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm I never said I use the trackpad for gaming... for gaming, I use a controller... hence why I like USB overdrive. Whether I'm playing a emulator, or playing a FPS I use a controller.

I use the trackpad for daily computer use, as well as design work... so no, no one is kicking my a$$ because I'm using a trackpad for gaming lol... that would be hard to use anyway.

6. dejanslo macrumors newbie

Fix

Hi!

I have also had some frustrating minuets right now, until I have found this topic. Before removing USB Overdrive I have tried upgrading it (from 3.0.1 to 3.0.2) and it works! Now my trackpad has all its functionality, and USB Overdrive still works with the wired mouse.

Before upgrading I had already disabled Overdrive for the trackpad, but that had not worked. I am not sure if it is a must to disable it for in the new version too, or you can just leave "Any mouse, Any application".