USB PCIe Card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thepawn, Apr 18, 2010.

1. thepawn macrumors 6502

thepawn

I'm looking for a USB PCIe card to expand the number of non-hub based USB ports on my machine.

I tried an Sonnet Allegro Express USB (PCIe USB 2.0 5-port card), but it seems to crash my MacPro(4,1) ... when I install the card sometimes the machine will boot but video will be trash, other times it won't make it past the hardware test (where the fans spin up and then down). Machine works fine without it.

I've email Sonnet to see what compatibility issues there may be as they say "works with Mac Pro" on their site, but who knows.

Anyone know of any other USB2.0/3.0 PCIe expansion cards compatible with OSX 10.6.3 + MacPro(4,1)?

--Daniel

2. klaasjan macrumors newbie

I'm using a Belkin PCI-e card on the same system/OS configuration (with a Radeon 4870 video card). It's working just as well as the built-in ports. I've used the upper PCI-e slot, altough it shouldn't matter.

3. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

Thanks. Sonnet says they believe its a bad card, so they're RMA'ing it, but if it doesn't work out, I'll try picking that one up.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

My Sonnet Allegro USB card works without any issues (apart from the one Sonnet says I can't sleep the machine, but I don't sleep my machine, so it does not matter to me).

5. thepawn thread starter macrumors 6502

thepawn

yep, seems it was a faulty card, new one works great.