USB Pen Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Highgord, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Highgord macrumors newbie

Hi All
    I'm a Newbie to Apple and I'm looking for some help. I have two pen drives. One is a 1gb and the other is a 4Gb Sandisk I have no problem getting my new MacBook to read and write to the 1Gb drive, but it will only read from the 4Gb Sandisk. While the same file can be exported to the 1Gb drive, I get ERROR unable to find file/folder if I try to export the same file to the 4Gb drive. Any answers? Also how can I rename the drives, it is easy in Windows, just right click and rename?:confused:

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

3. Vader macrumors 65816

Vader

Open Disk Utility and look at the two drives. I assume that the 1gb one is formatted FAT32 and the 4gb is NTFS. Mac cannot natively write to NTFS, only read. If you need to use these drives on windows and mac, I would say format them as FAT32. If you will only use it on a mac, then use Mac OS Extended. Cation: reformatting erases your data, so copy it somewhere else before reformatting.

To rename the drives, click on them in finder once, then click the name and you will be able to type a new name.

4. Highgord thread starter macrumors newbie

USB Pen Drives

Hi All
    Thanks for your help so far. However, remember I'm only a poor newbie and a Windows convert to boot. In the light of that, can someone tell me where I can find Disk Utilites?

5. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Firstly backup your stuff, then click the little magnifying glass in the top right, then search disk utility :)

6. Highgord thread starter macrumors newbie

USB Pen Drives

Hi All
    My thanks to all of you for your help. I did it last night (no ,I'm not boasting about my prowess with the girls). Following your advise, a light bulb in my brain lit up and I suddenly realized where Disk Utilities was and of course when that happened all the rest fell into place. I gave my new MacBook a little kiss, formated the pen drive and Hey Presto it worked (I'm not sure if the little kiss had anything to do with it, but I felt better for it and I thought my Mac gave a little wriggle, or maybe it was a shudder).
    Anyway, thanks again. I'm sure to be back soon looking for help.

Regards
    Highgord

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

I don't know if you use keyboard shortcuts often but I used to in windows and always pressed the F2 key when renaming files or folders. In Macs you can press the Enter/Return key on the file selected and then you can edit the name, press enter again and it's changed.

8. Highgord thread starter macrumors newbie

USB Pen Drives

Brilliant". Tried it and it worked first time. Many thanks.
    Highgord