Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
My new 2010 iMac 21.5" is "on order" and expected to arrive before Aug 20 (due to my remote locaton). Like many, I have lots of USB devices. For most optiminal connection, how would you connect them?

USB Devices are:
- Backup APC 1300VA LCD unit.
- Large keyboard within numeric pad.
- HP F4480 Printer
- IPod Touch
- Digital camera (with large memory card).
- future My Book 1 TD external HDD.

Was thinking of:
- iMac Port 1 - 'future' My Book 1 TB external HDD.
- iMac Port 2 - HP F4480 Printer
- iMac Port 3 - Backup APC 1300VA LCD unit.

- iMac Port 4 - external 4 port USB Hub. "Power Hub" - connected to Backup APC unit.

- 4 Port USB Hub - Port 1 - IPod Touch
- 4 Port USB Hub - Port 2 - Digital camera (with large memory card).
- 4 Port USB Hub - Port 3 - Large size "wired" keyboard

- 4 Port USB Hub - Port 4 - forward facing uner iMac unit - for easy plug in of other things (when needed).

Is this a good "optimal" configuration of USB ports?

Sorry if "silly question" for the well experienced. Just wondering if physcially shared USB ports need to be optimized (for best data transfer usage).

thanks.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
I would swap places with the printer and the ipod if the USB hub isn't powered.

Good point... We do use the iPod Touch connection much more then printing stuff. Good catch...

thanks.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
That sounds like a decent plan. It doesn't really matter what way they are but as mentioned above, make sure to get AC powered hub

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
That sounds like a decent plan. It doesn't really matter what way they are but as mentioned above, make sure to get AC powered hub

yeah, as long as the hub is powered externally it shouldn't matter.

I just figured that the printer would be powered externally while the ipod needs charging over USB.

zaffle

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2009
I agree, if you haven't purchased the external hd yet, get one with firewire 800. This will be alot faster and it will free up one of your USB ports.
precisely, and i'd personally recommend a LaCie D2 Quadra. solid drive that.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010

Guiyon

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2008
Cambridge, MA
If you are going to be mixing USB 1 and 2 devices on a single hub, make sure it is a multi-TT hub, otherwise you'll hit some significant speed issues.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Good thread!

Good thread here - my G5 only had 3 USB ports and I had to break up my devices with two eight port hubs.

Now with four ports on the back of the iMac it's a little easier but just wait, there's quite a few devices connected.

Stay tuned.

allen1

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2010
USB Port connections - most optiminal???

We are under the feeling that at what time my Dac is in place, we will worship listen to it. in support of that cause , we wish for to attach to by the most excellent wire I can. I consider using any well made USB 2.0 spec cable will work fine as in the case of my friend with his Bel canto Dac 3.
we contain understand the appraisal of the Kimber Kable and we want to know from all of you if we feel this is better than a usual cable? We see Synergistic make a wire yet it is insanely expensive.

Spike88

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2010
thanks for everyone's feedback.

I'll probably configure as:

iMac:
- Port 1 - Backup APC 1300VA LCD unit - control cable.
- Port 2 - HP F4480 Printer
- Port 3 - IPod Touch
- Port 4 - external 4 port USB Hub. "Power Hub" - its AC cord connected to Backup APC unit.

4 Port USB Hub (powered hub - off APC unit)
- Port 1 - Digital camera (with large memory card).
- Port 2 - Large size "wired" keyboard (with numeric pad)
- Port 3 & 4: forward facing under iMac unit - for easy plug in of other USB devices. For example: 8 GB USB stick for portable data transport.

Will connect Backup external HDD (1 TB) via iMac's rear FW800 port. This device used for Time Machine backups.

Thanks for everyone's recommendations...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.