USB Port Electrical Spark! Help

RTBGamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
My Macbook Air 11" (Purchased April) Has For Some Reason Started Sparking When I Plug In My USB And It Has Electrocuted Me A Couple Time Does Anyone Know Why This Is Happening

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
What are you plugging into your USB port?
Take it and your MacBook to an Apple store and have it checked out.
Your USB port is 5V, not enough to electrocute you. Something else is wrong.

RTBGamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
What are you plugging into your USB port?
Take it and your MacBook to an Apple store and have it checked out.
Your USB port is 5V, not enough to electrocute you. Something else is wrong.
Im plugging in a 3.5V USB hub

RTBGamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Never heard of such a thing. USB is 5.0V always. Give us a web link to the device.
It is a 5v usb hub but i didn't have a power supply for it so i used a 3.5V and i just try plugging it in without power and it still sparked

----------

I'm going to test the voltage with a voltmeter (think it is called that) and i will bring it to apple

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It is a 5v usb hub but i didn't have a power supply for it so i used a 3.5V and i just try plugging it in without power and it still sparked

----------

I'm going to test the voltage with a voltmeter (think it is called that) and i will bring it to apple
But another hub.

trainman

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
Kissimmee Florida
The correct 5 volt charger was 5 volts "DC" if you used a generic charger look closely at it as it was probably "AC" which will can cause coniderable damage when used in place of DC.

flowrider

macrumors 603
Nov 23, 2012
i tested the same usb hub on my lenovo t430s (without a metal body) and it sparked so it was that usb hub and I'm going to buy http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker®-Uspeed-7-Port-Adapter-Chipset/dp/B006TTA75Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397574773&sr=8-1&keywords=powered+usb+hub+3.0
I live in Arizona, very dry in the summer, and you get static electricity here just from walking on a rug and touching a light switch. You learn to approach a light switch with caution. Anyway I'm using the Plugable 3.0 USB hub on my Mac Pro without incident.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Aluminum-Chipset-Firmware-Certified/dp/B00D7P6176/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397577297&sr=8-3&keywords=plugable+usb+3+hub

Lou

RTBGamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
The correct 5 volt charger was 5 volts "DC" if you used a generic charger look closely at it as it was probably "AC" which will can cause coniderable damage when used in place of DC.
when i didn't have any power supply it still sparked

----------

I live in Arizona, very dry in the summer, and you get static electricity here just from walking on a rug and touching a light switch. You learn to approach a light switch with caution. Anyway I'm using the Plugable 3.0 USB hub on my Mac Pro without incident.

http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Aluminum-Chipset-Firmware-Certified/dp/B00D7P6176/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1397577297&sr=8-3&keywords=plugable+usb+3+hub

Lou
i live in the uk and i was using a very old dc 5v usb hub

RTBGamer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2014
Quoted for truth. If it were me I'd return the sparking hub for a refund and try another part.
yer i binned the usb hub and got a net lenovo replicator that is powered and doesn't spark and looks a lot better