USB Port Issues on MBP "13 Late 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by island219, Dec 8, 2013.

1. island219 macrumors newbie

I've been a having a few issues with the USB ports on my MacBook.

It's a Late 2011, 2.4Ghz Core i5 model.

[​IMG]

Both the USB ports are playing up. The one closest to the front does not supply a voltage, nor data (I have connected a powered hub with a known working drive to it to test this)

The second USB port (closest to the Thunderbolt port) provides a voltage (which is around the norm of 5V DC.) but does not provide any kind of data connection.

I've taken out the logic board and cleaned it down in general using a small cloth. I've noticed when turned on, there is one specific chip on the logic board that heats up (to extremes where my finger was burned!)

[​IMG]

The text on it reads J8IM

[​IMG]

When a device is plugged in to the first port nothing happens, it does not light up and Mac OSX detects nothing.

With the second port we see the device powered but with no data connection. Mac OSX warns that the device is using too much power then shuts it off after a small time period. (sometimes it stays on, it's quite random!) Here's a screencap of the device tree from System Information before the device was shut off. (with a USB drive plugged in!)

[​IMG]

Is there anything I can do about this issue? I have a feeling that the small chip may have died! If so; is anybody able to identify the chip, and where could I purchase a replacement! (I'd intend to solder it on myself, I'm relatively experienced with electronic repairs.

2. island219 thread starter macrumors newbie

Update

I've done a little more digging, and having looked at multiple teardowns of my exact model, other models and even a few other laptops. I have found that the number portrayed on the chip is simple a batch number, indicating when the chip was manufactured.

Bonus: I can take the broken parts from a defunct old laptop and use those. They are of the same design and similar batch number!