USB port on iMac Keyboard Problems

Discussion in 'iMac' started by blubox, Jun 23, 2008.

1. blubox macrumors member

I connected a My Passport essentials external hard drive to my imac keyboard but it didn't work. When I connected it to the back of my imac it worked fine. Does the port on the keyboard limit the amount of power going in/out? Thanks.

2. gixxerfool macrumors 6502a

gixxerfool

Yes. I had the same issue with a USB network adaptor. I had to call Applecare and while I was on the phone with them, I asked and it seems that the keyboard USB ports are low voltage. Don't know what you can run in them though,everything I plug in sets a low voltage error message:confused:

3. ale500 macrumors regular

From the apple site http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

it says that devices that draw too much power only work with the Alu iMac. With the Macbook I had problem of this kind.

4. andyw2004 macrumors member

It must depend on the HDD

My toughbook drive works fine plugged into the left-hand socket (as I look) on my iMac's keyboard. It's a wired keyboard rather than wireless.

5. Andy Diggle macrumors newbie

The Apple Keyboard page says: "Devices that draw high power from the USB connection, such as iPods, hard drives and some flash drives, can only be used with the new keyboard when it is attached to the aluminum iMac."

Well, my new WD "My Passport" hard drive won't mount when I connect it to the USB port on the WIRED keyboard connected to my aluminium iMac G5, which is somewhat annoying. It mounts fine when I plug it into the back of the iMac though.

6. durija macrumors 6502

I have an Aluminum iMac (see sig) and have the same experience. The only thing I can plug in is the mouse. It seems there is no use for the second port at all. Everything now works off my USB hub connected in the back.

7. 4fingered macrumors member

How do you have an aluminum G5? Aren't the aluminum iMacs only the new intel ones? this may be the reason why your hard drive isn't working. I have a power mac G5 and high voltage things wont work through my new keyboard either. it's really quite the piss off.

8. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

he mean power mac

Keyboard works fine on my set up for iPhone, iPod, and USB Drives but people come on HDD that is what FW 800 is for

9. blubox thread starter macrumors member

10. 4fingered macrumors member

I don't use the usb on the keyboard for Hard drives, you're right that's what FW800 is for, but there are other high voltage devices that could use that usb port but can't. I do find it quite annoying. I also don't understand why it's only the aluminum iMacs that will let you use high voltage devices on it can anyone explain the science behind that?

11. eidimon macrumors member

Well, i have a new 2009 iMac.

The ports on the keyboard (at least according to the previous posts) should work with a flash drive, or a usb hard drive.

However, they don't...

12. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I have a 2008 24"/2.8 with wired keyboard. I have one flash drive that works in the keyboard port and one that doesn't. I think it's pretty much understood that aside from a mouse, your keyboard port is "iffy". I'd be VERY surprised if it works with a hard drive.

13. eidimon macrumors member

Well, as far as i am concerned, the ports on the keyboard are absolutely useless...
    So, there goes 50% of my reasons for not getting the wireless keyboard (the other was the lack of a numpad)

14. djembe1 macrumors newbie

I have a 2009 20" iMac, and my flash drive works on my miniature keyboard with the mouse plugged into the other port. YMMV