USB Port Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by unusualyxpected, Nov 28, 2011.

1. unusualyxpected macrumors newbie

For a long time now (2 years?), both of my USB ports on my Macbook Pro (v.10.5.8, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3) have been faulty. I'm not sure when it happened, but they both stopped working consistently. However, I rarely needed them and only used it for a mouse, which when repeatedly plugged in, eventually would work.

Furthermore, on that side, the headphone jack is also there and takes a lot of tweaking to get to work.

Is it a hardware issue with my Mac? And what do I do to fix this? I'd rather not go to the store and get the computer taken apart and redone.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Its very likely a hardware issue. If your Mac isn't under a warranty anymore, its going to cost a few hundred dollars to fix it.

3. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

Now that I think about it, I believe it happened right after my warranty ended which is why I didn't bring it in.

How long does repair take?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

They'll probably have to order the part from Apple. It could take a few days.

5. unusualyxpected thread starter macrumors newbie

I have several personal items I'd rather not have strangers be privy to, as well as a lot of things I need my computer for.

Do I have to leave my there? Can they order the parts and then I bring it in to be installed? How long does the actual installation take?

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The Apple Store may not actually preform the fix at their store. Most, if not all, send them off to a centralized service centre for some of the more complex things like a logicboard replacement. If that's the case, you'll be without it for a few days. The actually replacement of a logicboard can take about an hour for someone that knows what they are doing.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Copy those things to an external drive and then delete them, or drop them in a TrueCrypt volume or an encrypted DMG.