Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

istonedu321

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
paoli Pa
One of the three usb ports on my G4 imac has stopped working. It wont read anything that is put into it. The other two work fine. It almost feels like I can giggle my thumb drive around when it is plugged into it. Would this be something covered by applecare, or does anybody know of a quick fix i could do myself.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
istonedu321 said:
One of the three usb ports on my G4 imac has stopped working. It wont read anything that is put into it. The other two work fine. It almost feels like I can giggle my thumb drive around when it is plugged into it. Would this be something covered by applecare, or does anybody know of a quick fix i could do myself.
it might be the power for that usb port is not good for you pen drive - run the apple hardware test cd that came with the mac to test usb ports

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
I would just buy an in-expensive USB hub and they you will have 5 ports.

istonedu321

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 19, 2005
paoli Pa
liketom said:
it might be the power for that usb port is not good for you pen drive - run the apple hardware test cd that came with the mac to test usb ports
the thumbdrive works in all the other ports so it shouldnt be a power issue. I thnk i am just gonna buy a usb 5 port thing though. make it easier than reachin around the back every time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.