USB Portable Chargers: Sanyo KBC-L2S or IMP500?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by squarejp, Jul 9, 2009.

1. squarejp macrumors newbie

I've been looking for a standard portable USB charger that can charge not only my power hungry iPhone 3GS but also other USB devices such as Blackberry, HTC, PSP, etc. I finally able to find two models, one from Sanyo Eneloop and the other from imaxpower both have 5000 mAh, which can charge iPhone 3GS for 4.1 times, 1219 x 4 = 4876 mAh.

The Sanyo KBC-L2S is 38.95 from amazon.com
    http://www.amazon.com/Sanyo-eneloop...?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1247179716&sr=8-26

The imaxpower is $58.95
    www.imaxpower.com

The price is obviously $20 apart with the same capacity, 5000 mAh. I would like to go for the cheaper option.

Finally, I would like the charger still be able to charge my iPhone 3GS while my GPS google map is ON.

Can anybody tell me which one is better? Sanyo or iMax Power?

2. holyindian macrumors 6502

Been wondering the same. Was planning to go to Costco as another member mentioned Sanyo is for 24 $ there.
    Which i am not sure if i would be able to find it or not. However would like honest opinion from other members.

3. bluefox123 macrumors newbie

I am also doing the research for my 2G.
    learn below from http://forum.mypdacafe.com/viewtopic.php?t=1137

I know that imaxpower is Lithium Polymer, not sure about Sanyo. maybe difference there.

One question, I lost my iphone3Gs last month, anyone know is it possible to get some discount for a replacement? I called apple store and ATT, they told me that I need to pay the full price. :mad:

First time here. this forum looks great.

=============================
    Battery Information

We offer three different types of mobile phone battery : Nickel Metal Hydride, Lithium Ion and Lithium Polymer. The basic differences between these types of battery and further battery information is detailed below.

Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH)

These batteries were introduced in the early 1990's as an improvement over older chemistries like Nickel Cadmium (NiCd). Although they may have a very slight memory effect, NiMH batteries are much more reliable than previous chemistries. Compared to a NiCd battery of equal size, a NiMh battery will run for 30-40% longer on each charge. NiMH batteries can also be recharged 60% in just 15 minutes. The unique NiMH chemistry packs much more power than NiCd. Additionally, NiMH batteries often have twice the lifespan of NiCds. We stock an extensive range of Nickel Metal Hydride batteries.

Lithium Ion (LiION) :

The most popular batteries available. Li-ION have replaced NiMH batteries for many phones because they provide 4 distinct advantages :

1) 40% longer Standby and Talk Times than NiMh.
    2) Lighter and more compact than NiMh batteries.
    3) LiIon batteries do not suffer from memory effect .
    4) The battery lifespan will be over 30% longer than NiMh batteries because the cells can accept more charge cycles.

Lithium Polymer (Li-Poly) :

The newest and most advanced technology for cellular phone batteries. This brand new chemistry of battery allows for the most compact cells available. Li-Poly batteries are extremely light and in most cases very thin allowing for the highest battery life for the size. Lithium Polymer batteries share all of the benefits of Li-Ion plus can last up to twice as long.

4. squarejp thread starter macrumors newbie

Sanyo uses Li-ION 5000 mAh with 2 USB out. Check out my youtube review on previous postings

5. holyindian macrumors 6502

I recieved my IMP500 two days back, and boy what a product!! I am amazed by the products commitment to charge the iphone to 100 % in less than one and half hr. I have managed to charge my iPhone 4 times until now, and still i see one bar remaining (must be another 25-30 % recharge) :)
    This was the best 58 dollars i put in a chinese product. I hope this is a long lasting durable product, cos already this is now in my Christmas gift shopping list.

Regards
    Monu Koshy

6. nicoletine macrumors newbie

do not buy IMP880

When I first found the IMP880, it seems to have a lot of capacity, but I read a lot of review of the product not working properly. I decided to give a try anyways. BAD IDEA. The product doesn't work as they claim! It's suppose to be able to charge my Iphone at least 5 times, but it seems to be able to only charge it 2 times fully and the third time up to 90% before it dies. I've done several test charges on this with the same results. I highly recommend that you do not purchase this product as, although sometimes it works, it seems that they are sending out too many defective products and that could be yours. Check out the amazon reviews, some guy had 2 defective products sent to him before receiving a working one. And many others product failed right after the 6 months warrenty. I've asked for a replacement but they asked for $40 to send me one (to cover shipping). Although, their customer service was quick to reply, I think $40 for a replacement of a defective product that they sent is ridiculous, I might as well buy another product.
    This was my experience, and I should've listened to the other reviewers. Just giving you a heads up!