USB portable monitors

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wikiverse, Nov 14, 2013.

1. wikiverse macrumors 6502a

I'm purchasing a 15" rMBP to replace a 17" MBP that is mostly used for video editing.

I edit a lot on-location and travel, and the 15" screen is insufficient for video editing.

I'm looking for a good portable USB monitor that I can use as a second screen. Ideally an HD monitor because 1377 x 768 resolution doesn't work well with a retina laptop.

I'm interested in the ASUS MB168B+ HD 1080p monitor. There are dozens and dozens of reviews on the net, but I can't find anyone that actually sells it.

Any ideas?

2. adventurebutter macrumors newbie

Got the same problem as you!

Hey, I'm looking for a portable monitor for my mac mini and I have the same problem as you. I want a monitor with high resolution-- or else the display won't look good.

I found this: http://www.icitouchtech.com/#!gechic-1303/cyeg
    I heard from my friend that GeChic portable monitors are pretty good cuz they use grade A panels.

For GeChic 1303H its resolution is 1920 x 1080 which I think is perfect.

Did you get a portable monitor in the end? How was it?

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

rMBP

If you go for a 15 inch rMBP then you can use scaled resolution to give you more real estate, at least as much as your old 17 inch.

4. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

If you're hoping to go AC less a USB monitor will drain your laptop battery pretty rapidly. Also you won't find large or high resolution USB monitors as they'll need more current than most USB ports can supply.