USB Ports Broken; Require A Clever Solution

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by radioheadjared, Sep 10, 2011.

1. radioheadjared macrumors newbie

Hey, I was wondering if someone could save me upwards of $1200 (or buying a new mac book pro). My 15" was dropped and the casing around the usb ports was dented, thus ruining the usb ports.

The repair cost is $1200 and I'm thinking about alternatives to paying that. I looked for a firewire to usb female converter and the technology doesn't work for that.

Does anyone have a solution that isn't repair or buying a new laptop?
    Thanks

2. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

An airport extreme will let you use hard drives or printers, and iOS 5 will take care of iDevice synching.
    That's at least something...

3. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

If your USB ports are dented, than there is no other way but either getting a wrench or something and denting it the other way so the ports will come out but if the body is that dented, the internal is probably messed up also

4. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

A little pricey, and limited in its execution (will probably only work while you're at home), but this Belkin Network USB Hub will connect to your WiFi network and emulate USB.

I tried looking for a similar concept using Bluetooth instead of WiFi, which would make it more portable, but didn't find anything. You might have better luck.

6. jsolares macrumors 6502a

Which year is it? does it have the expresscard slot?, also try undenting it so that you can access the usb ports they might not be damaged just obstructed...