Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
I have an early 2009 Mac Pro and last week I was plugging in my iPad to charge and as soon as the connector clicked my usb speakers went out as did my bluetooth Magic Mouse. Dead.

After doing some testing I come to find out that the front 2 usb ports and 2 out of the 3 usb ports in the back are completely dead! So now I've only got one port working and forced to use a hub to connect all of my devices. I'm thankful I've got one port working, otherwise the machine would be useless.

Now, what's the usb ports have to do with the bluetooth? How can I fix? I know I can get a PCI usb card to get my ports back. Any recommendations? What about bluetooth? I do miss my Magic Mouse! I tried an old usb Bluetooth dongle but that didn't work.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

derbothaus

macrumors 601
Jul 17, 2010
There is a PMU reset button on the logic board that can be pressed to reset things also did you try the nvram option?
Did you do this with a wired keyboard or wireless. Obviously you need wired. USB has nothing to do with BT as far as I know.

dqpassat

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2009
There is a PMU reset button on the logic board that can be pressed to reset things also did you try the nvram option?
Did you do this with a wired keyboard or wireless. Obviously you need wired. USB has nothing to do with BT as far as I know.

I used a USB keyboard.
Would you know where the PMU reset button would be on this Mac Pro?

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
I used a USB keyboard.
Would you know where the PMU reset button would be on this Mac Pro?

From OSX Daily (similar to info on Apple's Support site):
http://osxdaily.com/2010/03/24/when-and-how-to-reset-your-mac’s-system-management-controller-smc/

Reset SMC of an iMac, Mac Pro, Mac Mini:
* Shut down your Mac
* Disconnect the power cord
* Press and hold the Mac’s power button for 5 seconds
* Release the button
* Reattach the power cables and boot the Mac as usual

--I hope the reset helps. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.