USB ports disabled, how can I fix this?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by emmaf, Jul 6, 2014.

1. emmaf macrumors newbie

So, I bent one of my USB drives. It doesn't work, and for a while, it was disabled from use. Ever since I updated my operating system to Maverick, it started disabling BOTH ports, even though the though the one was working fine.

It says that something in the USB port is using too much power and that I need to disconnect it in order for it to work again. This is the same error I used to get with the one bent port, except now it disables both.

The closest apple store is pretty far. Is there a way to enable my one working port again?

2. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

I don't know if Mavericks has changed how ports are disabled when too much power is drawn by a device.
    Is the USB device damaged? or, is the port on your MacBook Pro damaged?

If you know which device is faulty, you should replace it, or simply stop using it.

You MIGHT get that device to work without disabling the ports, if you use an external USB hub (one with it's own power supply, known as self-powered). There are external hubs that will disable only one port, and maybe give an error when a faulty device is plugged in. Better, I think, is to just replace your faulty device.
    If you get the Too-much-power message whenever you plug ANY device in to just one port (and that port appears to be damaged) then you need to get that repaired. Likely will need the logic board replaced to fix a damaged port. If you don't want to repair your MacBook Pro, then give up on that one port, and use a 4 or 7 port USB hub with the good port.

3. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular