USB ports disabled notification

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kaposts, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Kaposts macrumors newbie

* I've seen the topic with same name in hardware section, but it's a bit different issue I think.

Hello,
    I'm facing this strange notification/ hardware error that says my usb devices are disabled. Also after error occurs 1 usb port (the one closer to headphone jack) stops working.

I reseted PRAM and SMC, did a clean instal yesterday and got a good day without an error, but now it's back and even more annoying. I get the message even if nothings connected (externally), yet checking console gives me kernel[0]: USB Notification: The hub "HubDevice" @ 0xfa100000 has reported an overcurrent condition. Port 3 has been disabled (0xfa130000).

Checked USB section under system preferences gives me
    http://cl.ly/image/1L1b2L1p0z1q which makes me thinking that if webcam is taking 500mA from the hub and keyboard/trackpad 48mA than it's more than 500 which causes the error, but I might be wrong

Is there any way to trouble shot if thats an hardware or software error without taking it to repair?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Is your hub powered, or UNpowered?
    (if it's powered, it will have its own power supply block)

If it's UNpowered, replace it with a powered hub.
    Things may go much better...

3. Kaposts thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that error comes up even if nothings connected to the port and with hub I meant inner usb hub, rather than external hub :(

4. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

If you've done a clean install and it's still happening, it's most likely a hardware issue.

5. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

Sounds to me like a malfunctioning, hardware wise, usb connected device. Like the poster above me said, no amount of reinstalling will fix that.