USB ports not reading new printer

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by sethmeyers, Jan 17, 2013.

1. sethmeyers macrumors newbie

Hello, all,

My iMac is running 10.6.8 and has worked for two years with an HP 3030. I just bought an HP m1212 yesterday, but the printer will not read the USB port from the Mac. I installed the printer on a Dell laptop and it prints fine via USB with the same cord.

I've already tried to reset PRAM and SMC.

1. Is there any common way to make USB ports work again? (They work with some peripherals, not with others.)
    2. Could I connect the printer by the ethernet ports?

Thanks a million.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Weird your USB isn't working...you're not using hubs, are you?

Anyway, yes if that printer has ethernet on it you can install that way and I would recommend it. You may run into snags but here's the basics:

Connect the printer to your router and configure the printer with a static (fixed) IP on the local network. Make the last number of the IP "050" or something similar so that the address won't interfere with the DHCP addresses your router is assigning. The static IP will make finding the printer easier for your computers.

Then, add the printer as an IP printer and enter the above address you chose.

3. gsahli macrumors 6502a

gsahli

This is not enough info.
    When you add (+) the printer in Print & Scan Prefs pane (used to be called Print & Fax), did you wait for at least 45 secs to give the Mac enough time to find the printer?