USB ports not working - Mid-2012 MBP 15''

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ryder, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Ryder, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

Ryder macrumors newbie

Hey there!

Ran into a problem yesterday. After booting up, my usb mouse was powered, but not connected. Testing it with other usb devices, thumb drives, HDDs, nothing connects, but most devices are still getting power. No apparent difference between either of the two ports. I tried booting into my Windows 7 Bootcamp partition, where it at least gives me the "unrecognized USB device" error, but no better luck connecting anything.

I've already reset the PRAM and the SMC with no change.

It hasn't been dropped or had any spills or the like, and nothing was installed between it being in working order and not.

Any ideas?

Running 10.11.4, it's the 2.3Ghz Intel Core i7 model I bought refurbished a few years ago.

EDIT: For any future Googlers, the problem was unresolved, and they just replaced the logic board. Anticlimactic, eh?

2. Chipmaster macrumors newbie

Chipmaster

3. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Try this:

Boot from the recovery partition.

Once up-and-running that way, does the mouse begin working again?

4. hamiltonDSi macrumors 65816

hamiltonDSi

Had the same problem with my Late 2013" 15" Retina.
    After I tried everything (including the resets and AHT reported "ok") it still did not work.
    I opened the laptop and re-connected the right port. You have to take the fan out as well
    After that, it worked. Some kind of magic ? :)

5. Ryder thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried this earlier to verify the disk, and was shocked that it actually worked for a second, but then it stopped again. What does that tell us?

I think I just might still have Applecare on it, but I'm not sure. I'm going to try to bring it in tomorrow, so I don't want to crack her open just yet. That's the next thing I'll try, though!