USB ports not working?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kate0418, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Kate0418 macrumors newbie

This is making me really crazy. Both of my USB ports on my Macbook pro aren't working. It's a year old. My mac did fall off of a chair recently (dog knocked it), and that side hit the floor (about 2' drop). Physically, it didn't seem to do any damage whatsoever to the performance, so I thought it was the USB plug in for the mouse which was damaged, and not the port (or ports) themselves. So I tested different batteries and a different mouse, and the mice light up, so I can tell that they're recognized, but they don't work.

I also tried connecting my camera, which plugging into the USB brings up iPhoto, but it doesn't give me an option to transfer pictures, which is odd.

Has anyone else had this problem? If not, how much is an estimated fix if it's internal? My year warranty *just* ran out and it makes me sick that I couldn't afford to renew that.

Any help or advice would be appreciated!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You can feel slightly less sick by knowing that your warranty wouldn't have covered that anyways.

Most likely, if something was plugged in at the time, the ports separated from the logic board partially. The power lead is still present, based on the fact that the mice light up, but the data leads are damaged. Chances are you'll need a new logic board, which is likely to be $500-700 at least from Apple or a third-party shop. You can take it in and have it diagnosed to confirm this, but I think it's the most likely scenario.

jW