USB ports on a wried iMac keyboard

Discussion in 'iMac' started by techhead42, Nov 25, 2010.

1. techhead42 macrumors member

I intend to purchase a wired keyboard on my BTO iMac and I understand that there are two USB ports, one on either side of the keyboard. Are these ports USB 2.0 as they are on the rear of the iMac?

2. biggd macrumors 6502

biggd

Wow, 3 seconds on google
    "The Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad features an extended layout; an elegant, ultrathin anodized aluminum enclosure; low-profile keys; and two USB 2.0 ports."

3. techhead42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the information! The sarcasm wasn't necessary though. Seeing as this is an iMac forum I thought that this was a good place to start.

Cheers

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

One problem I do find when also looking for technical answers is that Google tends to push the shopping results first, probably due to these sites paying to have their results "optimised" in the search engines. This is why, for odd queries like the OP's or where you want an opinion on something, coming straight to a forum can be a fair idea.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

One thing to note though is that the ports on the keyboard are low power

6. techhead42 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks alust2013. What does that mean exactly? How does that affect the usefulness of the keyboards USB ports as opposed to the USB ports at the rear of the iMac?

7. henleyregatta macrumors newbie

It means they won't provide more than the specified USB power - 150mA - and hence can't be used to charge iPhone or iPads.

I can tell you from experience that they work brilliantly for USB Mice, Joysticks and Tablets though ;-)

(You're better off sticking your i-device into a port on the back of the Mac where it'll be able to draw 500mA or even 1100mA if required.)

8. John T macrumors 68020

John T

As Apple says:-

"Two USB (Universal Serial Bus) 1.1 ports on the Apple Keyboard Connect low-power USB 1.1 devices to your iMac’s keyboard, such as mice, digital cameras, and joysticks. Connect your Apple Mouse to one of the keyboard USB ports. (There are also three high- speed USB 2.0 ports on the back of your computer.)".

9. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

The USB sockets are very close to the desk so if using larger USB sticks its worth getting a USB extension cable to stop the side of the keyboard being pushed up off the desk.

10. Kenndac macrumors 6502

Kenndac

Wherever you're getting that quote from is out-of-date - the ports on Apple keyboards have been USB 2.0 for quite a long time now.

11. mooblie macrumors 6502

mooblie

Regarding "low power": I find I can't plug a 2GB USB memory stick into the keyboard ports (thin wired aluminium keyboard).

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Same here....well...you can plug it in....but it won't mount :)