USB Ports on Aluminum Keyboard Being Difficult

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by GSMiller, Oct 31, 2007.

1. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I bought a new wired aluminum keyboard about 2 weeks ago and having some difficulties.

I plug my mouse into one of the USB ports on the keyboard and use the other to connect my flash drive, camera, or iPod. I was able to connect all three the first few days, but then they mysteriously quit functioning. When I'm in OS X or Windows XP on my iMac (Late 2006), if I plug anything into the USB ports on the keyboard (other than the mouse) I get a power notice stating they're not getting enough power. I thought the problem would go away after I upgraded to Leopard but it did not.

I have tried everything, from downloading the 1.2 update to unplugging it and plugging it back in. I can plug the keyboard into my HP notebook and the USB ports work fine, no problems whatsoever. I've also tried plugging the devices into the extension cable that I plug the keyboard into and they work in that as well so it has to be something to do with the keyboards software.

Any assistance would be GREATLY appreciated, as this is driving me nuts. I have searched the net far and wide, as well as MacRumors but haven't found any solutions to this problem.

2. macleod199 macrumors 6502

They updated the product page for the keyboard a week or two after it came out to clarify that you need one of the new aluminum iMacs to charge things through the keyboard. People had figured this out and were screaming bloody murder in the forums.

http://www.apple.com/keyboard/

3. l33r0y macrumors 6502

You are experiencing a typical USB issue. It is not specifically related to the Mac.

4. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

But what I don't understand is why it worked before, but not anymore, and why it will work when I use the keyboard with my HP notebook. I'm fine with my iPod not charging through it or anything but a simple flashdrive? I just don't understand this...