USB ports too close to each other (MBP mid-2012)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macstatic, Jun 30, 2017.

1. macstatic macrumors 65816

macstatic

I think my 13" Macbook Pro 15 (mid-2012) is a great laptop for traveling as it has everything (yes, I love that it has a built-in DVD player, although I'm one of the few judging by other postings here).

But more to the point: this MBP has two USB ports, but if I plug in for instance an external USB drive and also want to use a USB flash drive that won't work because there's a flaw in the design (IMHO) as they're too close together. Is there a good solution to this?
    A USB extension cable? Are there narrow USB flash drives to be found (I've tried several types but they all seem equally wide)?

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Most USB flash drives are sized in a way that will block other ports on laptops. I blame the Makers for this more than I do Apple and if there was no standardized spec from the start I would also partly blame the USB IF. I think this may be partly why Apple decided on the Retina model to put one USB drive on each side, even though extremely large flash drives still block (less frequently used) ports. It may also partly explain the wide spacing on the 2016- generation USB-C MBPs, in the event that extremely huge USB flash drives like the Corsair Voyager GTX (with an actual SSD controller) are released for USB-C laptops, and to accommodate wider SD adapters.

My Kingston Digital DataTraveler SE9's do not protrude in any way, and can be used with your model side-by-side with either a cable in the other USB port, or another SE9 flash drive. These are older USB2 models, but I imagine they have updated USB 3 versions. A USB extension cable could also work, if you don't mind living with the adapter. A $10 USB bus-powered hub would too, and would provide you with 2-4 extra ports. IIRC Silicon Power also made (and still makes?) several compact profile USB flash drives as well that maintain the width of the inner port.

3. macstatic thread starter macrumors 65816

macstatic

Those Kingston flash drives seem to be the solution as I prefer not to keep too many "add-ons" in mind when bringing along the laptop. Thanks for letting me know!

4. BrianBaughn macrumors 603

BrianBaughn

I've had those Kingston SE9 drives and they are nice in that their dimensions are the same as the plug...but they are sloooow.

There are some Samsung USB 3.0 drives with a similar profile that I haven't tried but look interesting.

5. leman macrumors G3

The solution is called USB-C ;) In the meanwhile, you can use a USB hub, those are very compact and cheap.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've never had a problem with my 2012 MBP, but then I only connect a few things. As mentioned, get a hub, problem solved. :)

7. TonyK macrumors 6502a

TonyK

Wonder if that is why the 2015 has its USB ports on opposite sides of the computer. :D

8. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

A short USB "extension" cable (male on one end, female on the other) will solve this problem.

May look a little bit "clunky", but… it works!

9. windows4ever macrumors member

windows4ever

I agree this is an annoyance with the older Macbooks. A small USB hub is a good solution.